How to "fix" a mattress indentation?
January 16, 2008 8:58 PM   Subscribe

How to "fix" a mattress indentation? I have a fairly new mattress that has slight indentation where I sleep. I analyzed it today and determined that it was caused by the box spring being slightly sagging. I don't want to return it (just cause of hassle). I'm thinking of putting plywood between the box spring and mattress. What do you all think/have done?
posted by sandmanwv to Home & Garden (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Plywood is a good solution (and turn the mattress over too)... But, depending on how "fairly new" it is, you might be under a warranty or guarantee of some sort. Can you check with your retailer?
posted by amyms at 9:01 PM on January 16, 2008

You said you don't want the hassle of returning it, but if you're under a warranty, you might be able to have the replacement delivered to you (and they'll haul off the defective one).
posted by amyms at 9:02 PM on January 16, 2008

(and turn the mattress over too)

If it's fairly new, your mattress may not be flippable. Rotating it 180° may be all that it's designed for.

I'd encourage you to read your tags or see if you've got the little warranty brochure that came with the mattress, though, and call some people to find out what your options are. If it turns out to be too much of a hassle for you, then fine, but at least ask... conceivably, you'll get a new mattress out of the deal, delivered to your abode by strong lads in a panel van who will then cart away the offending saggy one at no cost or hassle to you.
posted by mumkin at 1:02 AM on January 17, 2008

Best answer: I think your plywood idea would be just fine. I'm of the personal, non-professional, opinion that box springs are kinda a scam, frankly, that you'd be served just as well by putting the mattress on a solid object.

If your underlying bedframe is open, you might also be able to tackle this by adding slats (say, 1 x 4 pine) across the bed frame under the boxspring to give it more support.

If you do use plywood and your bed is larger than a queen, you may have to join two sheets to get a single one wide enough to do the job. A 4' piece dead center in a 5' wide queen is actually almost perfect, as you'll have a 6" margin to tuck in sheets without striking the wood. You probably want an A/C or better sheet of 1/2" plywood to make this viable. Rough C/D or similar "builder" grade will be too rough and nasty to want to have it anywhere near your bedding/mattress.

If the indentation is really profound, you might need 3/4" plywood to avoid having the plywood sag as well.

Two other options: box springs are pretty inexpensive and you might just look for a cheap set on craigslist, and dispose of the mattress after you check to be sure the box unit is OK. The box is just there to support the mattress and its internal construction is pretty much irrelevant to your comfort, from my research. Finally, if this is a queen or larger, consider going to a split box setup, which will provide an extra "beam" right down the center of the bed, where you need it. That's what we have, and even will my bulk the bed hasn't sagged in five years.
posted by maxwelton at 3:17 AM on January 17, 2008

Check your boxspring to see why it is sagging. If some of the wood supports are broken you may as well dump it unless you consider yourself handy enough to fix it.
posted by JJ86 at 5:55 AM on January 17, 2008

Plywood may not help if the defect is *within* the structure of the mattress. We have a sheet of 3/4" plywood under a king size mattress and still have indentations.


posted by sandpine at 9:05 AM on January 17, 2008

Some bed frames have "feet" in the middle that are adjustable for this very reason. Take the mattress and box spring off and see if there's a screw leg that you can twist out a bit. You may want to use a level to make sure it's all even.
posted by at 9:18 AM on January 17, 2008

« Older Help with black tie event accessories for the...   |   Help me identify this short story! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.