How to heal raw skin in a delicate position
June 9, 2004 6:53 PM   Subscribe

A friend has some raw skin. (more inside)

The skin is raw (chaffed, really) on a particular body part that changes shape and size, periodically. Unfortunately, this body part can't really be immobilized, and it moves two or three times per day, whether or not my friend wants it to. As it moves, it rips open the scab. When it returns to its normal position, the scab won't "stick" to its old spot. Any suggestions for medication or care?
posted by Kwantsar to Health & Fitness (15 answers total)

neosporin, and whenever it's about to "change shape" he should think of something horrendously unappealing, whatever that may be. And no jerking off or sex until it's totally healed.
posted by amberglow at 6:55 PM on June 9, 2004

And keep it clean. Wash well. There are band-aids that will fit, I'm sure, too.
posted by gramcracker at 7:22 PM on June 9, 2004

Starched drawers or out of lotion? What was it?
posted by pieoverdone at 7:58 PM on June 9, 2004

I'm guessing a close encounter of the unnatural kind with a vacuum cleaner. Silly bugger.
posted by five fresh fish at 8:19 PM on June 9, 2004

Or perhaps we have the definitve answer to this question.
posted by nathan_teske at 8:50 PM on June 9, 2004

Maybe this stuff would help otherwise I would use frequent applications of antiseptic cream.
posted by bdave at 9:20 PM on June 9, 2004

A trip to the dermatologist...?
posted by davidmsc at 9:25 PM on June 9, 2004

Lots and lots of time... he's out of commission for two weeks, at the very least... no other way around it.

If it's a small area, clean with hydrogen peroxide once a day and then wash and apply neosporin. He's going to have to allow the skin to re-grow from the sides, and not scab over and rebuild itself like skin does on the rest of your body.
posted by SpecialK at 10:10 PM on June 9, 2004

Do not use the liquid bandage stuff. It's not elastic enough.
posted by Nothing at 10:35 PM on June 9, 2004

Neosporin and or other moisturizer. Maybe time for tighty-whities. Neosporin and wrapping in gauze bandage may be the best solution. If the skin is moist it will be supple, so the occasional swelling won't be a big pain (maybe a little one). A doctor may be able to supply something to keep the swelling down, but I dunno about that sort of stuff.
posted by Goofyy at 11:11 PM on June 9, 2004

Isn't reduction in swelling why the British Army would put bromide in soldier's tea? Though its effects may be mythical, I suspect there must be something that would do it, though unsure as to whether a doctor would want to provide it.
posted by biffa at 3:27 AM on June 10, 2004

What's with all this "my friend" stuff?
posted by skylar at 5:40 AM on June 10, 2004

Wrap it in gauze, maybe?
posted by mkultra at 7:21 AM on June 10, 2004

Skylar: he doesn't want us to know he has a raw, chaffed penis.
posted by Evstar at 8:00 AM on June 10, 2004

Hey, but we've all had a raw, chaffed penis at one time or another.


Haven't we?

posted by waldo at 12:00 PM on June 10, 2004

« Older Panther Reinstall woes   |   Legality of employer references Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.