Glass marble magnet supplies in Toronto

I want to make glass marble magnets. Where can I find supplies in downtown Toronto?

I need:

- round strong magnets (1/2" and 3/4");
- clear flat glass marbles (1/2" and 3/4");
- silicon sealer (glue).

I know to look for the glass marbles in the "fake flowers section" at Michael's, but the nearest Michael's is in Mississauga and that's too far. I need something downtown. Maybe the bead stores along Queen West? Hardware stores? Curry's?
posted by heatherann to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Having made these myself, I would suggest superglue as the adhesive. It dries very clear, is easy to apply sparingly, and can be easily chipped off the sides if you do use too much.
posted by odinsdream at 7:02 AM on November 26, 2007

DeSerres (formerly Loomis Art Stores) has a location at Richmond and Spadina. They've been revamping the stores a bit to have more Michael's type stuff.
posted by winston at 7:05 AM on November 26, 2007

Do you have a Loonie Store or equivalent near you? They probably have the marbles (and maybe the magnets too).
posted by slowfasthazel at 7:12 AM on November 26, 2007

Try Dollarama for the marbles, magnets and glue. They have a pretty big crafts section in the larger stores. The one on Queen in Parkdale was particularly big and well stocked with craft stuff. Though it's been several months since I lived in Toronto I'm pretty sure I've seen all the items you need there.

Canadian tire would have the glue and possibly the magnets.

If I didn't find them in those places I'd probably go to Walmart in Dufferin mall, where they have a large craft section.
posted by Melsky at 7:21 AM on November 26, 2007

These glass pebbles are often sold as filler for vases, so if you have a home furnishing store like Pier One or Crate and Barrel you will likely find them.
posted by agregoli at 8:17 AM on November 26, 2007

If you want really strong magnets, Lee Valley (on King, w of Spadina) has rare earth magnets.
posted by scruss at 9:23 AM on November 26, 2007

I made these before and it was a nice way to spend a few hours. Two tips I have are:

1. Try to find completely see-through marbles, not the iridescent ones, because they show the picture underneath more clearly.

2. Strong, thin magnets are if you can find them.

Have fun!
posted by catburger at 2:18 AM on December 2, 2007

Ahem.. Strong, thin magnets are BEST if you can find them.
posted by catburger at 2:19 AM on December 2, 2007

« Older Fiction I can read to a 5 yr old?   |   My cat wants to go fishing! Newer »