Whiskey glassware
November 20, 2007 7:16 AM   Subscribe

Recommendations for whiskey/old fashioned glasses?

I broke the last of my husband's favourite whiskey glasses. He's had them forever, and I'd like to get him some equally as nice, but I have no idea what brand they were. Does anyone have any recommendations for whiskey/old fashioned glasses that are feel heavy and solid in your hand? He likes square-ish ones better than round ones.
posted by gaspode to Home & Garden (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I love these. They're the same ones that were used in "Blade Runner"!
posted by Evangeline at 7:19 AM on November 20, 2007 [1 favorite]

I would absolutely send out the Migs signal on this one - the man knows more about how a wonderful glass feels in the hand and on the lips than anyone ought to.

My SIL has these, and they're great to hold. They're kind of a combination square/round, but very heavy and beefy.
posted by iconomy at 7:51 AM on November 20, 2007

I have been using glasses similar to these (but sans bubble in the base) for ages. I share your SO's need for a hefty, solid feel, but since I'm using them for serious boozing I never wanted to drop serious coin on them. I think Crate & Barrel used to have a similar glass in a square shape, but I don't see it on the site. You should be able to find them with a little poking around, though. The key is having a base that's roughly 1/3 of the total height, and solid glass. That gives the glass the proper heft.

(FYI, your local Crate & Barrel store might have the round and/or square glasses I'm thinking of - I know my local shop had plenty left long after they were removed from the web site. It's also possible that something similar will return to their online selection in the near future...they seem to rotate their "stock" hefty glassware from time to time.
posted by Banky_Edwards at 8:07 AM on November 20, 2007

I've had a set of these for years and love them. The only downside is that they are a bit fragile. They're great for sitting inside but I'd like to get a thicker set for when sitting outside having a cigar.
posted by beowulf573 at 8:21 AM on November 20, 2007

Damn, just realized that's the type of glass you didn't want, sorry about that.
posted by beowulf573 at 8:22 AM on November 20, 2007

Best answer: If you're willing to order from here in the UK, you can get some good whisky glasses from The Macallan store. You could also get your husband a nice 18yr old as well to make up for breaking his last glass.

My personal favourites are made by Glencairn Crystal. I've a set of their Lewis whisky tumblers and love them. Haven't tried the Glencairn Whisky Glass, but I've heard it's exceptionally good. Not exactly what you're looking for re shape, but well worth considering if it's something special you're after.
posted by Nugget at 9:16 AM on November 20, 2007 [2 favorites]

I'll second the Glencairn Whisky Glass, I picked up their branded set from the Bushmills Distillery when I was there, and it is by far one of my favorite glasses for a good whisky. The thick stem at the base makes it easy to hold, had gives the glass some good heft to it.

At at 36 british sterling for 12 glasses, you could go through a lot of them before having to buy new ones.
posted by mrzarquon at 9:34 AM on November 20, 2007

You could also get your husband a nice 18yr old as well to make up for breaking his last glass.

Wow, that IS generous.
posted by Evangeline at 9:43 AM on November 20, 2007

Response by poster: Thanks all. Those Glencairn ones look great. I'll look into them.
posted by gaspode at 11:37 AM on November 20, 2007

You could also get your husband a nice 18yr old as well to make up for breaking his last glass.

Or you could just get him some nice whisky.
posted by ikkyu2 at 11:54 AM on November 20, 2007 [7 favorites]

« Older Home Audio 101   |   Contact Lenses Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.