Broken low-voltage light fixture component
November 10, 2007 8:17 PM   Subscribe

I was trying to change out a low-voltage halogen bulb, and it looks like I busted a vital component...

The linked image below shows what's broken. I am supposed to be able to seat both pins of a 50W bulb in either hole, and the pins are 'clamped' at the terminus of the hole via a tight fit. Only it looks like the metal 'clamps' are now all folded over and it won't accept the pins of the bulb because I must have inserted the bulb pins slightly askew and fouled them up.

So can it be fixed?

If not, what the hell is it called and where can I get another?

posted by docpops to Home & Garden (7 answers total)
Response by poster: Photo of said piece
posted by docpops at 8:18 PM on November 10, 2007

Best answer: You need a new socket.
posted by sugarfish at 8:22 PM on November 10, 2007

Oh, and they're pretty inexpensive. They go bad fairly often. You might check with someone who does LV landscape lighting.
posted by sugarfish at 8:28 PM on November 10, 2007

Response by poster: sugarfish - is that little gizmo, i.e. the ceramic dime sized 3/8 inch thick piece the socket?

If so, how do the wires connect to the little metal clamps?
posted by docpops at 8:32 PM on November 10, 2007

Best answer: The entire thing, wires and all, would probably need to be replaced. The sockets come from the manufacturer that way. At least, I've never seen them with just the ceramic bit.
posted by sugarfish at 8:38 PM on November 10, 2007

Response by poster: Wow. I never considered the fact that I just re-spliced a couple wires instead of attaching a new socket. That was thick of me.

So maybe the thing to do is clip the wires and take the socket/wire assembly to the electrical parts store. Any idea if this is too esoteric to be found at Home Depot?

Thanks so much, again.
posted by docpops at 8:48 PM on November 10, 2007

I know you can get Malibu brand LV lights at Home Depot, though I can't vouch for their quality. I'm not sure if they are simply sold in kits or if you can get the components, though I would guess that you'd be able to.

And you're welcome. :)
posted by sugarfish at 8:56 PM on November 10, 2007

« Older Crockpot dilemma   |   Help me get rid of paper on the cheap Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.