Cheese knives? Blades? Cleavers? Slicers?
October 9, 2007 6:42 AM   Subscribe

Cheese knives? Blades? Cleavers? Slicers? Cutters? We had dinner at some friends' the other week. They had these cool cheese cutting tools that were a cross between a flat blade like you apply spackle with, and a nubby handle like on a short screwdriver. They were only about 3" or 4" from cutting edge to tip of handle.

They were much easier to use - pressing down through the cheese with the end of the handle in your palm instead of trying to lever & rock the blade through it with a traditional horizontal knife. And you could use a corner of the blade to stab & serve or use it like a mini spatula.

I asked the hostess where she got them & she said she'd had them for years and thought they were OXO's, but the OXO site doesn't have anything like them.

I've searched the intertubes high & low with all the combos of terminology above, and haven't had any luck. Maybe there is something else they're called that I don't know about?
posted by yoga to Food & Drink (10 answers total)
Do you mean a wide blade cheese knife like the middle one here?
posted by iconomy at 6:48 AM on October 9, 2007

Did any of them look like any of these? It sounds like either a cheese knife or some modified spreader.
posted by pineapple at 6:52 AM on October 9, 2007

A cheese plane?
posted by Faint of Butt at 6:53 AM on October 9, 2007

Response by poster: iconomy's link looks the closest. And it could be I'm not remembering the handle shape exactly. I thought they were rounder, but these guys are pretty close.

Definitely not a planer or anything with a wire or rolly thing.
posted by yoga at 7:04 AM on October 9, 2007

Response by poster: Here's some more!
posted by yoga at 7:06 AM on October 9, 2007

Best answer: They're called wide blade cheese knives, and sometimes bell-shaped. The ones you linked to look to be pretty good quality. I have one with a marble handle - I'll see if I can find it.
posted by iconomy at 7:11 AM on October 9, 2007

Best answer: My set looks just like this, but they're nothing special. I think I bought them at Kohl's in the US.
posted by iconomy at 7:18 AM on October 9, 2007

Best answer: Sounds like your looking for a parmesan knife.
posted by kamelhoecker at 7:25 AM on October 9, 2007

We have one of those, I'm pretty sure it just came from our local kitchenware store. Unless it's well-stocked, odds are it will only be sold as part of a set (à la iconomy's link).
posted by mkultra at 7:37 AM on October 9, 2007

Response by poster: Ooo ico I think they are those marble ones! YAY!!!! And the parmesan one is close, too.

Thanks you guys!
posted by yoga at 9:46 AM on October 9, 2007

« Older SurvivalistFilter: Emergency supplies, and long...   |   Rose, thou art sick. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.