Cartoon of cat falling from aircraft?

I'm trying to find a cartoon image of a cat falling from a (Dakota-type) aircraft. The caption said something like: "Sooty suddenly realised that it wasn't going to matter, even if he can land on all-fours from a mile up"

I'm trying to find a cartoon image I saw in a newspaper, maybe 10 years ago.

I thought it was Baxter (from the style) - but I've been assured it isn't. Could be Larson, but I'm not so sure.
posted by Dub to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Although Google fails me, I am thinking it was Larson... it sounds very much so like his "Far Side" style. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.
posted by ForeverDcember at 9:36 AM on May 29, 2007

This is a bit of a tangent, but your cartoon cat may have turned out alright, thanks to its non-fatal terminal velocity.
posted by flod at 10:46 AM on May 29, 2007

ForeverDcember, I've seen some of Larson's stuff which is different from the usual (?) Larson style, but it doesn't look like what I'm picturing in my mind.

flod, cheers :)
posted by Dub at 2:51 PM on May 29, 2007

Dub -

That was drawn by my uncle, W.B. Park. His strip was called Off the Leash.

I believe the cat's name was "Fluffy," but I can't really remember. That particular strip (or frame, or whatever a single-box cartoon is called) was actually made into t-shirts and mugs. I think I still have the t-shirt.

I can put you in touch with my uncle, if you e-mail me (profile).
posted by Alt F4 at 4:06 AM on May 30, 2007 [8 favorites]

Yes! Fluffy! (I nearly wrote that, but settled on Sooty)! - You're my hero!
posted by Dub at 4:35 AM on May 30, 2007

{Thanks people, BTW - You're all my heroes, really!}

Reminds me of an (very funny) animated short film about the effects of a cat falling from window ledges of different heights. A sleeping cat falls from the ledge with the following results (from memory).

1st floor: no time to realise what is happening, does not tense up - walks away with injured pride only.

2nd floor: cat realises danger but can't correct for feet first landing - very damaged.

3rd floor: cat realises danger, corrects for landing, but still relaxed - injured pride.

4th floor: cat realises danger, corrects for landing, but tenses up for landing - very damaged.

5th floor: cat realises danger, corrects for landing, tenses then relaxes again due to inevitability of impact, limited damage.
posted by Shave at 6:30 AM on May 31, 2007

:) Typical cat mentality:

Dog: They feed me, love me and take care of me: they must be gods!
Cat: They feed me, love me and take care of me: I must be a god! - Unknown

posted by Dub at 8:01 PM on May 31, 2007

Yeehah! I got a copy of "Off the Leash" (out of print now, but still available if you look about) -Thanks again Alt F4
posted by Dub at 5:33 AM on June 14, 2007

« Older International favorite books, movies, music?   |   Photo toning for beginners Newer »