My first post about my genetalia. :)
December 17, 2006 2:52 PM   Subscribe

I have a few white lumps on my scrotum. What are they?

For as long as I can remember (even before becoming sexually active) I have had a few white bumps on my scrotum. There are 3 or so that are about half the size of a pea. They're just barely under the skin and are VERY hard. Smaller ones (several but not hundreds) are usually 'squeezable' and the discharge is similar to a zit but much less 'liquidy.' The large ones won't budge no matter how hard I try.

I know you're not my doctor. They've been there for ages and haven't grown or anything so I'm not so much concerned that its life threatening. Just wondering if others have these and what can be done about them. I find them unsightly.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Sounds a little like an unhappy/blocked sebaceous gland. Wikipedia points me to keratosis pilaris alba which sounds kind of like what you describe.

It sounds like a nonproblem to me, but I might still ask my doctor about it next time I see him. I like to know the names of my various blemishes.
posted by hattifattener at 3:01 PM on December 17, 2006

Ask your doctor. Probably blocked sebaceous glands, which I think can be drained professionally.
posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 3:05 PM on December 17, 2006

Yeah, I had a recurring one of these. I finally went to the doc because I wanted to be sure it wasn't cancerous. A quick rubber-gloved exam and he told me it was a form of innocuous cyst, and that he could drain it if it was causing pain, but otherwise, leave it alone.

For peace of mind, a doctor visit is always good.
posted by The Deej at 3:13 PM on December 17, 2006

Dude, please for the love of all that is holy, see a doctor. Or go to a free clinic. It's probably no big deal, but, come on! See a doctor, soon.
posted by jeff-o-matic at 3:22 PM on December 17, 2006

Best answer: Sounds like "pearly papules." They are common and harmless.
posted by Violet Hour at 3:36 PM on December 17, 2006

Best answer: Almost certainly scrotal calcinosis. Actually very common. A few cases a week make it to my microscope and look just like this (removed electively of course). Basically they are an end-stage form of epidermal inclusion cysts which have calcified. Your doctor can remove them no problemo.
posted by i_am_a_Jedi at 3:53 PM on December 17, 2006

I went to a urologist.
posted by The Deej at 4:58 PM on December 17, 2006

Best answer: Family Doctor here,

I have taken these things out in my office. I always assumed epidermal cysts, but I guess that's why we have people like i_am_a_Jedi.
posted by Slarty Bartfast at 5:30 PM on December 17, 2006

i_am_a_Jedi's second link is NSFW!
posted by intermod at 6:43 PM on December 17, 2006

The last image in i_am_a_Jedi's google search is not safe for breakfast.
posted by Mitheral at 6:47 PM on December 17, 2006

Sorry I thought they were all H&E images...
posted by i_am_a_Jedi at 7:43 PM on December 17, 2006

slarty_bartfast: Wait, you've removed these things without knowing what they are?!??
posted by Tuffy at 8:21 PM on December 17, 2006

having looked at a few images on jedi's link - what would three or four of these small, almost pimple-like thingies on a scrotum be? no discomfort of any kind, just showed up one day.
posted by krautland at 9:19 PM on December 17, 2006

The Gods of Pathology must have read this post because they sent me one of these today on my biopsy run. Good times.
posted by i_am_a_Jedi at 7:07 PM on December 18, 2006

« Older Deferring the School   |   How do browsers work? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.