apple
December 11, 2006 3:03 AM   Subscribe

thinking of buying a 13-inch apple macbook

from apple store new york city friend bringing it over as hand luggage (to the U.K) at christmas , should i be concerned about anything?
posted by baker dave to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

well there's the risk of having to pay duty at customs when he hits the UK.

in my experience, apple are very good at honouring guarantees on an item bought in one country and used in another. however, you do forfeit the protections offered to you by the UK sale of good act..
posted by ascullion at 3:49 AM on December 11, 2006

This recent thread might help
posted by TheDonF at 4:03 AM on December 11, 2006

Response by poster: i looked at that thread more to do with sales tax cheers
posted by baker dave at 4:51 AM on December 11, 2006

Ummm.. then what are you concerned about?
posted by purephase at 5:09 AM on December 11, 2006

Also that you could save the cost of sales tax in the US if your friend buys it from Amazon rather than at the NY store ...
posted by JakeWalker at 5:31 AM on December 11, 2006

Your keyboard won't have a pound sign on it, and you'll have to buy a plug adaptor. Other than that, you can switch the laptop entirely into British mode in the software.
posted by chrismear at 5:54 AM on December 11, 2006

Response by poster: nice one chrismear
posted by baker dave at 5:57 AM on December 11, 2006

Pound sign is option-3. You can buy the Apple international travel kit to have the UK plug in the power block.

If you buy extended Apple Care, buy it in England, as according to the Apple store employee I spoke to, having the paperwork or whatever in your local store makes everything slightly quicker.
posted by djgh at 9:39 AM on December 11, 2006

« Older Toronto anniversary ideas?   |   What are the key culture changes between UK and US... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.