How do I setup monitor "gridlines" on Linux?
September 19, 2006 3:24 PM   Subscribe

How do I setup monitor "gridlines" on Linux? Nvidia has software for Windows that let's you divide your monitor into virtual sub-monitors or set gridlines so that if you maximize a window in that certain section, it only maximizes to that particular area. This is particularly useful on big monitors. Does anyone know of any utilities on Linux that do this or how to configure KDE or Gnome (or I suppose another window manager) to do this?

Examples of "gridline" software:

Nvidia display gridlines


Ultramon can also be used to do this on Windows.

So, any ideas for KDE or Gnome?
posted by rordog to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
A different window manager, yes. It's called ion3. I've been using it for years, it's awesome. If ion is not to your liking there's also ratpoison which appears to be similar, but I have no personal experience with it.
posted by aeighty at 3:47 PM on September 19, 2006

Second the recommendation for Ion. The default keybindings can be a bit daunting but it's worth the learning curve (and you can use the mouse anyway if you'd prefer).
posted by IshmaelGraves at 4:46 PM on September 19, 2006

Also wmii.
posted by wackybrit at 6:42 PM on September 19, 2006

« Older Unique fundraiser?   |   Paraguay : an island surrounded by land Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.