Sliding-scale divorce lawyers in L.A.
August 28, 2006 5:36 PM   Subscribe

For a friend: need resources for law firms or individual attorneys in Los Angeles who provide sliding scale/reduced cost (or even pro bono) services for a woman going through an increasingly acrimonious divorce.

My friend is going through what is turning out to be a very difficult divorce. She has had a few consultations with lawyers through the limited legal aid benefit she receives through her workplace, but it really doesn't cover a lot beyond a few initial consultations and filing paperwork for an uncontested divorce. She and her soon-to-be-ex have been trying to work out things via mediation, but have now pretty much hit the wall with several issues unresolved (mainly concerning child support, but also division of assets and debt).

She feels that the issues that are her dealbreakers are ones she has a fairly good chance of winning if the case can get in front of a judge -- but she makes too much money to qualify for Legal Aid, but far from enough to be able to afford to hire the attorneys she's already consulted with to handle a contested divorce. I've found this firm, which looks like it might be a good resource. Can anyone point me in the direction of similar resources in L.A.? Thanks.
posted by scody to Law & Government (2 answers total)
Sadly, almost every professional or working woman I know (including myself) who has a legal battle re such matters as divorce/assets/child support has had to put their legal fees on their credit cards. And hope that the bang is worth the (borrowed) buck. It usually is, in that it keeps one protected, albeit at least temporarily in debt. Most family law lawyers, after the initial retainer (usually $5,000 to $10,000), accept payments over time.

That being said, she can call the California Women's Law Center in LA and see if they have any suggestions.
posted by ClaudiaCenter at 8:27 PM on August 29, 2006

Most firms won't do sliding scale for divorce cases, because you cannot have any part of your fee be contingent in a divorce case.

You've indicated that she makes too much to qualify for Legal Aid. She'll have issues with trying to get the work done pro bono as well, since those services are for the poor and indigent.

I'd second the recommendation of the Women's Law Center. They might have some recommendations.
posted by reenum at 11:13 AM on November 14, 2006

« Older Help me avoid car overheating in my Subaru?   |   Any recommendations for a KVM extender? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.