Cycling t-shirt-Hors Categorie
July 19, 2006 6:48 AM   Subscribe

Does anyone know of a place to get a tshirt with the red Hors Categorie (HC) circle symbol?

I'd love a shirt with the HC symbol currently being used on TdF stage maps. I can't seem to find one. There is a Nike jersey that has the words "Hors Categorie" printed on it, but that isn't what I want. Has anyone seen a shirt like this?

If I can't buy one, can I make one? I've not paid much attention to these t-shirt making outfits, so I don't know how they work. I assume it's a trademarked symbol, but I'm not positive.

(I guess the Tour is really bringing out the consumer in me.)

Please, Please, Please do not post anything about today's stage in this thread!
posted by OmieWise to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (15 answers total)
Cool idea. Is this just the red triangle with "HC" inside?
posted by exogenous at 7:18 AM on July 19, 2006

Response by poster: Well, the red circle, bordered in black, with HC inside. I'm afraid I'll have to find a way to make it myself.
posted by OmieWise at 7:24 AM on July 19, 2006

Sorry, I stupidly failed to thoroughly read your question. I can't find any circular HC symbols, and the stage map here has a triangular HC symbol. If it's not a complicated design, it should be easy to recreate and at least do up a homemade inkjet transfer, if not at one of the online t-shirt places.
posted by exogenous at 7:25 AM on July 19, 2006

Response by poster: I'm so paranoid about finding out information about how today's stage is going that I've been very delicate about surfing for examples of the image I'm talking about, and the only one's I've found have been embedded in Flash. It's very similar, though. Maybe I'll try inkjet.
posted by OmieWise at 7:36 AM on July 19, 2006

Is iron-on transfer paper for your printer out of the question? I've made some okay T-shirts that way. Careful with any subsequent ironing though!
posted by dance at 7:43 AM on July 19, 2006

I hereby volunteer to try and make up a graphic for spreadshirt or cafepress or whatever. I can think of a few people who would like one. Is this the symbol you're talking about?:
(I found it at
posted by exogenous at 7:56 AM on July 19, 2006

Iron on transfers are super simple and while they don't last forever, with good care they'll degrade gracefully like any good home made t-shirt should, especially for something that is a blockish image like the one you describe. The iron-on paper is a little spendy, but I have a ton of it. If you find a good image, post a link here I could print you out an iron-on and mail it to you.
posted by jessamyn at 7:57 AM on July 19, 2006

If you can isolate the image (I can't for the life of me find what you are refering to on any stage map), then just use cafepress. It's about $9 for a tshirt.
posted by yeti at 7:59 AM on July 19, 2006

Response by poster: exogenous-That's it! I've also seen it with a black circle instead of that silvery one on that version.
posted by OmieWise at 8:23 AM on July 19, 2006

Best answer: OK - here's the cafepress store. Send me an email if you want the high-res original or any new products, etc. Now that I'm done following the stage on I have no excuse not to get back to studying :-)
posted by exogenous at 8:58 AM on July 19, 2006 [2 favorites]

Hey! How about a tee for the ladies? :>
posted by moxyberry at 10:04 AM on July 19, 2006

Response by poster: That is so awesome. Really above and beyond. Thanks.
posted by OmieWise at 10:13 AM on July 19, 2006

Ladies shirts added.
posted by exogenous at 10:14 AM on July 19, 2006

OK, in today's stage....
posted by fixedgear at 1:51 PM on July 19, 2006

Response by poster: Hah, watched it already. That's why they call it HC (or even 1).
posted by OmieWise at 7:05 PM on July 19, 2006

« Older Asking for a raise   |   Geography resources for graduate students Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.