Where (else) should I stay in Quebec City?

I'm attending a conference in Quebec City in late November and would like to spend a couple of extra days exploring before heading over to Montreal for the second half of my trip. The conference is taking place at the Centre Des Congres/Convention Centre and I'll be staying at one of the nearby hotels for the first ~three nights. Where else in the area is worth staying to extend the visit? A few particulars inside:

I'll be solo, am a mid-40s cis-male, introverted urban explorer type. Moderately experienced/confident traveler. I don't speak French but am half-assing Duolingo in run-up. I'd prefer to spend the majority of my time wandering around outdoors but realize the weather is likely to hamper that.

Looking for a place with easy access to a decent variety of casual restaurants and interesting walkability (as the weather permits). I would like to get some winter clothes shopping in if that is a factor - recommendations on that front would be appreciated as a bonus. I will also likely be using a chunk of one of those days to head out to Montmorency Falls, probably for the second time. I don't drink alcohol (although I do smoke cannabis) and am not interested in nightlife outside of possibly some live music, but that's not a priority.

My only firm requirements are reasonably quiet private accommodations and WiFi. Looking for a licensed hotel or lodge as opposed to AirBnB although that's not necessarily a deal-breaker. Prefer old-school/laid-back to modern/fussy. Budget in the ~$150CAD/night range but somewhat flexible for the right fit.

Any ideas? Outside of the box is totally fine (preferred, even) if there's something really interesting.
posted by Ufez Jones to Travel & Transportation around Quebec, QC (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

In your shoes I’d look for a spot in Vieux-Québec, either around the basilica or down at the bottom closer to the water. There are tons of restaurants and things to do and see (the Ursuline museum was unexpectedly great and a lot more about education than I expected) and just being in that area is a trip. It’s very walkable, as long as you’re good with stairs.

For clothing the Québecois equivalent of the Hudson Bay company is La Maison Simons (or just Simons.) The flagship store is in Vieux-Québec. Also in that area is Quartier Petit Champlain. Bear in mind prices in small boutiques in that area will carry a tourist premium, but it’s fun.
posted by warriorqueen at 3:48 AM on July 8 [5 favorites]

Although I don't have any hotel recommendations (I've traveled to various parts of La Belle Province over the years, though this often involved camping), I wanted to address the language thing. If you were to stay in Vieux-Québec as warriorqueen has suggested, you probably won't be surprised to hear that all of the shops and restaurants there are staffed by people who can assist you in English. However, I'm certainly not discounting the value of language study, even if it's limited to "half-assing Duolingo". As a general rule, people will appreciate any effort made to speak the local tongue, and this would provide especially true if you were to venture outside of Vieux-Québec.

As an aside, I stayed at the "Hôtel-Motel Lustre d'Or" on the boulevard Wilfrid-Hamel back in the early 90s, but although I enjoyed my stay there I'm refraining from recommending it seeing as A) it's relatively far from the Centre des Congrès without a car, and B) its ratings on Google are pretty crappy, leading me to believe that the place has gone downhill over the years. All of that to say that warriorqueen's suggestion is a good one.
posted by DavidfromBA at 12:29 PM on July 8

« Older Metafilter MultiFavorited Multiwidth for Safari?   |   Project 2025 Newer »