Trying to find one of these, name unknown edition
April 1, 2024 8:03 AM   Subscribe

I want to find one of these for sale, in the US: I don't know what it's called.

In case the picture link doesn't work: The base is a flat metal plate, about 4-5 inches square. From the center rises a spike (tapered, but not sharp) of about 5-6 inches.

It's probably a DIY / construction kind of thing. I will be using it for art projects.
posted by concinnity to Shopping (5 answers total)
Are you looking for a memo spike, basically?
posted by sagc at 8:09 AM on April 1 [2 favorites]

Also, this similar object is listed as a sculpture stand; for sale here.
posted by sagc at 8:12 AM on April 1 [3 favorites]

Depending on what you need it for, you might want a restaurant check spindle (aka a "ticket spike").
posted by yellowcandy at 8:14 AM on April 1

It is also sometimes called a spindle (as in "do not bend, fold, spindle or mutilate")
posted by briank at 10:46 AM on April 1 [2 favorites]

sage has it. That's a sculpture base with a support rod. The idea is that the sculpture is hollow and sits on top of the base with the rod sticking up inside it, usually fixed in a way to create a firm fit. Among other things, it prevents the sculpture from being tipped over.
posted by slkinsey at 12:50 PM on April 1 [1 favorite]

« Older Recommend a Chicagoland playground?   |   Is Bikes Direct dot com legit and a good choice? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments