Money for Nothing
April 30, 2006 1:30 PM   Subscribe

If this "GOP energy package" is passed by congress, and I get a "hundred dollar gas tax holiday rebate check", where should I spend my new $100?

If the rebate goes to individuals making less than $125,000 or couples making less than $150,000, then I could estimate that at least 95% of taxpayers in the US would be elligible. Which means approximately fifteen billion dollars that tax-payers will spend as they see fit.

Since I am fortunate enough not to have to spend that money on baby formula, hospital bills, attorney fees or body armor, I would like to donate the money to a worthy cause.

Any ideas about which federally-underfunded or unrecognized programs would get the most mileage (har har) out of the money?
posted by billtron to Work & Money (22 answers total)
There's a certain irony in donating it to the Democratic party...
posted by i love cheese at 1:58 PM on April 30, 2006

So, essentially your question amounts to, "I'd like to give $100 to charity, any ideas?" Isn't that a little vague -- I mean, what kinds of causes interest you? How about you take a look at and just pick something.

And what is the point of including all that crap about Republicans, tax credits, and baby formula if that is really all this is about? It sounds like this is a thinly framed excuse to start some kind of political discussion, and that is not what AskMe is for. Flagged as inappropriate.
posted by Rhomboid at 2:01 PM on April 30, 2006

Greenpeace? Amnesty International? Send me a check?
posted by caution live frogs at 2:10 PM on April 30, 2006

Greenpeace, Sierra Club, places funding alternative energy research?
posted by NucleophilicAttack at 2:11 PM on April 30, 2006

posted by blueberry at 2:24 PM on April 30, 2006

Common Ground. I am very, very impressed with their (ongoing) work in New Orleans.
posted by brundlefly at 2:30 PM on April 30, 2006

From what I understand, it won't pass. It's election year grandstanding to make the republicans seem like they care.
posted by wsg at 2:30 PM on April 30, 2006

Response by poster: Thanks for the charity navigator link, Rhomboid. I didn't know that existed. I am more interested in finding out how to give the money to groups that depend on federal funding and are in need of support, rather than independent organizations that depend on private contributions. I sorta feel like this isn't really just my money to spend, so I wanted advice from other people.

Is it even possible to donate money to the Department of Housing and Urban Development or the Department of Homeland Security?

I know that if I wanted to donate to the National Park Service, I would go to the National Park Foundation. Do any similar organizations exist for other gov't programs?

Sorry to be so unclear in my original post.
posted by billtron at 2:32 PM on April 30, 2006

Alliance to Save Energy or how about an organization in your community that helps needy families pay their energy bills, like Energy Outreach Colorado , the $1 Energy Fund in Pennsylvania or Keep Wisconsin Warm.
posted by purplevelvet at 2:35 PM on April 30, 2006

Here is a few charities to get you started..
posted by kcm at 2:36 PM on April 30, 2006

Although it wouldn't be my choice, it sounds like you might be interested in gifting the money to the Treasury, thus reducing the Federal debt.
posted by blue mustard at 2:42 PM on April 30, 2006

It'll be interesting to see what the ultimate response to the $100 ends up being after enough consumers blow it on just two tanks of gas.
posted by Thorzdad at 2:43 PM on April 30, 2006

Buy some crude and use it to burn several cubic metres of styrofoam.
posted by Krrrlson at 2:58 PM on April 30, 2006

If I got one of these, I'd sign it directly over to the Democrats. Wouldn't even bother depositing it.
posted by I Love Tacos at 4:03 PM on April 30, 2006

Ditto I Love Tacos.
posted by FauxScot at 6:27 PM on April 30, 2006

What about a group that helps confront or address the fallout of our bad energy and environmental policies, like the Natural Resources Defense Council, Union of Concerned Scientists, Center for Biological Diversity...
posted by salvia at 8:39 PM on April 30, 2006

Give to a Republican foundation that promotes responsible fiscal management. It seems the White House could do with the advice.
posted by TrashyRambo at 9:31 PM on April 30, 2006

Give to a Republican foundation that promotes responsible fiscal management.

There are still Republicans who care about fiscal management? If I believed that, I might not have shed my party affiliation.
posted by I Love Tacos at 9:34 PM on April 30, 2006

Giving it to an environmental watchdog group might be appropriate.

There's a certain irony in donating it to the Democratic party...

Honestly, there is nothing ironic about taking the money from one group who is wasteful and giving it to another who will waste it. However, if you're trying to show how little effect giving 100 bucks back will make to most people, giving it to the democratic party is about the best way to make sure it vanishes with ZERO gain.

Now, there might be a certain 'stupidity' to it, but that's another matter.
posted by justgary at 11:12 PM on April 30, 2006

Donate it to your local public broadcasting station.
posted by junkbox at 6:53 AM on May 1, 2006

Well, if you are feeling the pain of paying for travel costs to work, why not spend it on determining how to move closer to your workplace and basic needs, start a fund to buy a bicycle, or even a nice pair of walking shoes? Donating is all well and good but energy conservation starts at home.
posted by mikeh at 7:27 AM on May 1, 2006

« Older What can I do with a couple hundred pounds of sour...   |   What happens when someone takes out a restraining... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.