Infrared remote extender thingy, who are you!?!?!
April 23, 2006 11:35 AM   Subscribe

Help me name this device.... Saw this at someones house. A small device that allows you to control a dvd player or stereo (any infrared device) while it's within a cabinet with the doors closed. A small box is stuck on the outside of it that apparently catches the signal and transfers it inside and resends it to control the components within. Does that make any sense?? Where can i find this thing? Thanks!
posted by joshgray to Technology (12 answers total)
ir extender ? Radio Shack, about $50
posted by mrleec at 11:38 AM on April 23, 2006

Is this what you're looking for? I'm sure there are plenty of other brands available, but that doesn't seem to be such a bad price for such a device.
posted by hoboynow at 11:40 AM on April 23, 2006

This ? Looks like the doors would still need to be open unless the thing fit inside of the cabinet?
posted by joshgray at 11:41 AM on April 23, 2006

I mean, this.
posted by hoboynow at 11:41 AM on April 23, 2006

You are looking for an infrared repeater
posted by fourstar at 11:42 AM on April 23, 2006

This might be overkill, but it sounds like it does what you are looking for.
posted by quin at 11:42 AM on April 23, 2006

Ahhhh... A lower end version of that i think will do it i think!
posted by joshgray at 11:47 AM on April 23, 2006

Rockler sells this gizmo, which should do what you need. The "hidden link" version has a relatively obvious receiver box, but is only $120 before shipping/tax. The more expensive and smaller "micro link" version is designed to be integrated into a cabinet by a carpenter at the time it is assembled, so it probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, anyway.
posted by Alterscape at 11:57 AM on April 23, 2006

Now that you have your answer, please remember that heat isn't usually good for electronics, and that a closed cabinet increases the operating temperature of its contents.
posted by Kwantsar at 12:07 PM on April 23, 2006

Agree with Kwantser, which is why I cut a rectangular hole in the back of my cabinet to vent the electronics properly. You could do the same and still close the front.
posted by empyrean at 12:34 PM on April 23, 2006

Joshgray has it right. I have the pyramid version, and there is an external IR sending unit that can be mounted on the door or shelf in front of the device to be controlled. X-10 has/makes them. One reseller.

About $50.00
posted by Gungho at 3:13 PM on April 23, 2006

If you do cut a hole in the back, you might be able to get away with mirrors instead of an IR repeater, too.
posted by flabdablet at 5:32 AM on April 24, 2006

« Older Automatic backup of my flash drive?   |   Trouble in Spain, morning after pill help. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.