"Flash sunsets"?
April 9, 2006 6:22 PM   Subscribe

Overcast skies at twlight, looking westward. A bright flash of white light, followed by instant red. Sunset, in the blink of an eye! What is this phenomenon called?
posted by Laugh_track to Science & Nature (6 answers total)
Is it the Green Flash?
posted by interrobang at 6:25 PM on April 9, 2006

The bright flash of white light may have been an Iridium flare
posted by cosmicbandito at 6:44 PM on April 9, 2006

No... it wasn't green at all. And the flash was BIG. Also, the sun itself was not visible. Just the coloration effects.
posted by Laugh_track at 7:28 PM on April 9, 2006

How big? I've seen planes on the horizon flash bright, but not exceptionally big.
posted by qwip at 2:38 AM on April 10, 2006

It didn't seem to come from a single point in the sky. That's how big. But just as striking was the INSTANT switch from blue/gray to pink. It really was like an instantaneous sunset.
posted by Laugh_track at 6:05 AM on April 10, 2006

My guess: green flash. But I was under the impression that this only works (i.e., is visilble) when it's clear.

My other guess: You live in the Truman Show.
posted by zpousman at 7:04 AM on April 10, 2006

« Older A question about sign language.   |   How can I force Firefox to keep images in its... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.