What is this sound?

I’m looking for the tch-tch sound an intercom makes when it’s shut off after someone makes an announcement. I associate this sound with the PA system on Amtrak trains. I’ve listened to a bunch of YouTube videos of ambient train noise and have not been able to locate it. Does this sound have a name? If so, what is it and where can I find a recording of it?
posted by pxe2000 to Travel & Transportation (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Anything suitable at this search at the Free Sound Archive? (To download, you will need to sign up for an account, but it doesn't spam you.)
posted by metabaroque at 4:04 PM on June 27, 2021

Best answer: You may be describing a squelch tail, the sound(mostly white noise ) is from the open mic before the operator releases the PTT button and the circuit is squelched.
something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LblpPh3WXGg
posted by radio other at 5:12 PM on June 27, 2021 [7 favorites]

Best answer: Soundsnap has some various intercom sounds.

The closest I found to what you're looking for is in the "prison officer radio communications" series that has a lot of those little squelch bleeps and clicks that happen at the end of a communication when the send button is released. Examples: 1 2 3

I don't know if this is exactly the sound you are looking for. The "intercom" or "PA announcement" type sound I remember hearing is different. I believe, for example in our high school, the PA announcement is often made using a telephone handset. The sound you hear at the end is often the sound of the phone being set back down in the cradle (ie, hung up--the old fashioned way). And not just hung up with a clatter--but amplified.

You can find some of those sound effects at soundfishing.eu under "telephone handset". Look for the "hang up" type sound effects. However, note that they sound quite different--louder and more echoey--when amplified over a PA or intercom system.
posted by flug at 5:46 PM on June 27, 2021

« Older How can I help Mom pay bills?   |   Small Spaces Sofabeds Newer »