What's a cute transition from I to V on piano?
April 16, 2020 12:51 PM   Subscribe

When practicing with the circle of fifths, I start with a Cmaj scale up and down, then I play the chords I, IV, I, V7, I. Then I move my hands to G, and repeat with a Gmaj scale, etc. What cute filler could I play between the C chord and the G chord to make it sound continous?
posted by derbyshire to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: A super simple one would just be to do the V7 of V (that is, put a D7 between C and G). A slightly more fun one would be a diminished 7th chord starting on C, which could resolve nicely to G.
posted by tarshish bound at 12:57 PM on April 16, 2020 [3 favorites]

or a super weird one to put between C and G would be a French augmented 6th to G (or really any augmented 6th chord) - A-flat C D F-sharp.
posted by tarshish bound at 12:58 PM on April 16, 2020 [1 favorite]

I suppose you could play "Shave and a Haircut" and leave out the "two bits" and you'd be on G.
posted by less of course at 2:27 PM on April 16, 2020

I think what you want is to get rid of the second I chord and place a predominant chord (like ii, V/V, an augmented sixth chord, or a borrowed ii0) in front of V7.
posted by daisystomper at 3:09 PM on April 16, 2020 [2 favorites]

Best answer: Two ways of potentially not answering the question:

Are you playing the I-IV-I-V-I in all inversions? That's good useful filler.

Also, if you're just looking for a way to get around the circle of fifths, how about going flatwise via the relative minor? That way you're doing a consistent third down each time -- so after your cadence chords (and maybe arpeggios?), just do 1-2-1-7-6, and you're on your relative minor, or 1-2b-1-7-6 the next major key, +1 flat.
posted by batter_my_heart at 1:41 AM on April 17, 2020

« Older Self care/hygiene products for tween girls?   |   Need a short message of good wishes Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.