Reporting an employer committing ei fraud in Alberta
April 5, 2020 5:49 PM   Subscribe

An employer is telling employees that they are laid off, but that they should continue working and he'll "top up" their ei if/when things return to normal. To whom do I report this?

A person I know has been employed by the same person for the past decade or so. That person has operated more than one company (changing the name when he gets caught in illegal activity, but continuing existing contracts somehow).

I know the employer's name and (one of?) his current business names, operating hotels in Grande Prairie and ft Mac. Is there anything else I need to know?
posted by Acari to Law & Government (2 answers total)
So he wants them to work for free, that is, at no cost to him. Then he’ll pay them less than what he should have *if* the business lasts. He sounds like a piece of work. Has he issued the records of employment? Do they say laid off? You could report him to EI directly. He’s committing fraud or something along those lines. (I am not a lawyer or a cop or anything remotely like that.)
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 9:02 PM on April 5, 2020

Best answer: Might be hard to get through to them for a while, but yeah, call Service Canada.
You also have an important role to play in helping to protect the EI program. If you are aware that someone has committed fraud, please let us know.

To provide details of reporting mistakes or fraudulent activity related to EI claims, or for more information, please call our toll-free EI Telephone Information Service at 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742), from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. , and press “0” to speak to a representative.

You can also write to us or visit us at a Service Canada Centre.
posted by bethnull at 1:02 AM on April 6, 2020 [1 favorite]

« Older Stretching the definition of 'digital nomad'   |   What to attach grapevine to on balcony? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.