Office chair with attached footrest for sitting
December 20, 2019 9:24 AM   Subscribe

I'm short and I can't get a shorter desk at work, but might be able to get a chair with an attached footrest. However, when I try to search for this, the internet gives me chairs with footrests designed for reclining. I want one to put my feet on flat while sitting up. Any suggestions?

I know that a footrest that sits on the floor is the traditional solution, but there are a few reasons why that's not ideal in this case. Same with a keyboard tray. I'm a 5'2" woman, and the chair depth also needs to accommodate shorter thighs.
posted by metasarah to Shopping (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
Maybe something like this or this drafting chair? Your request reminds me of drafting chairs, but the problem there may be the chairs are too tall since they're usually designed for taller tables.
posted by jzb at 9:50 AM on December 20, 2019 [1 favorite]

I'd recommend looking at "drafting" chairs. These usually have footrests built in. It looks like some go low enough to sit at a normal desk height, but you'd have to measure. to confirm.

On preview, jinx.
posted by hydra77 at 9:51 AM on December 20, 2019 [1 favorite]

the foot rest for those chairs tends to be behind the knee, which is rather uncomfortable in my opinion. They sell foot-rest attachments for wheel chairs, as well as the attachments that are on salon chairs for foot resting. It seems like these can be added to any chair with a solid-enough base.

I've also found this desk chair marketed for "growing children". It's max height is 19.8 inches, which is a full height for adult desks, but it's a smaller seat, and the foot rest at the bottom is what you're looking for. It's got excellent reviews, and several from adult women that are at your stature
posted by FirstMateKate at 10:36 AM on December 20, 2019 [3 favorites]

What about a Universal Footring? It says it fits most standard gas cylinders, so as long as you have a chair with the standard cheapie cylinder cover you should be able to remove (or cut away) that plastic to affix the ring.
posted by Lyn Never at 10:45 AM on December 20, 2019 [3 favorites]

Have you already looked at footrests that go on the floor? I had one like this and liked it.
posted by bluedaisy at 12:31 PM on December 20, 2019 [2 favorites]

Something from this list?
posted by porpoise at 8:11 PM on December 21, 2019

« Older Fixing shower wall hole - can it be patched?   |   Should I get a cat? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.