What are these "barrel hinges" for purse frames called really?
February 9, 2019 8:06 AM   Subscribe

What is the hinge on this tubular purse frame called outside of the purse world? Web page describes it as a "barrel hinge", but searching barrel hinge comes up with something completely different. Any chance of sourcing same or similar hinges without buying a whole bag frame--maybe with faster shipping?
posted by anaelith to Grab Bag (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
You could ask this Etsy merchant (MidwestHardwear) where they get theirs.
posted by Johnny Wallflower at 12:01 PM on February 9

Outside the purse world, they're often bigger, as barrel gate hinges. But looking for miniature barrel gate hinges turns up elbow-jointed barrel hinges, or butterfly hinges for DIY jewelry boxes. Here are "extra small" barrel gate hinges, at 2". Etsy seller 3DANsupplies has several sizes of the purse frames -- you'd have to unscrew the tubular handles to use the hinges for other projects.
posted by Iris Gambol at 12:52 PM on February 9

If they don't need to be identical, there are always purses at Goodwill, and at the Goodwill Outlet where stuff goes when it doesn't sell. Cheap. Re-purpose-able.
posted by theora55 at 10:28 AM on February 10

« Older Help me help other readers talk about books!   |   Baby, baby, the stars are shining for you... name... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments