Has anyone used the "High Dynamic Range" plugin for photoshop?
February 12, 2006 11:58 AM   Subscribe

Where can i find it? I found this flickr pool via BoingBoing (Flickr).. I couldn't dig up the photoshop plugin that is used to do this on google, only a bunch of stand-a-long apps.
posted by joshgray to Computers & Internet (14 answers total)
it's only in photoshop CS2 - under file/automate/merge to HDR.

I haven't tried using it yet, but some of those shots in the flickr pool are pretty incredible.
posted by chrisege at 12:01 PM on February 12, 2006

It's built in to Photoshop CS2. Here it is in the list of features.

On preview: Like chrisege said.
posted by voidcontext at 12:03 PM on February 12, 2006

Ah crap, missed that. Thanks!
posted by joshgray at 12:04 PM on February 12, 2006

Photoshop's native HDR support isn't so hot. Photomatix makes a standalone app and also a photoshop plugin for better tone mapping.
posted by HK10036 at 12:26 PM on February 12, 2006

I've used HDR in Photoshop CS2 (which is required, as stated previously), and to be honest I've not got anything as stunning as the stuff linked to on BoingBoing.

Apparently there's still some real art to it, too.
posted by teece at 12:28 PM on February 12, 2006

Interesting stuff, but I'm not all that fond of the effect. Over-saturated colors that come together to create images that look like antique, hand colored, postcards. Or, perhaps more appropriately, old school food photography.
posted by aladfar at 1:06 PM on February 12, 2006

Does anyone have a link to a webpage that explains how to get the best results with this?
posted by joshgray at 1:20 PM on February 12, 2006

Luminous Landscape tutorial
posted by jeremias at 1:24 PM on February 12, 2006

If you do not have Photoshop you can use this free program HDRShop . There is also a tonemapping plugin available for it.
posted by stuartmm at 1:24 PM on February 12, 2006

One way of approximating this look is to fake the Lomo effect (after the Russian camera manufacturer known for its high-contrast output). This flickr tutorial explains the process of combining increases in contrast, saturation, and sharpness with overlay work. The steps given are Photoshop commands but easily mimicked with other software.
posted by rob511 at 1:28 PM on February 12, 2006

If I may be permitted a self link, I just spent a couple of hours playing around and blogging on how to do HDR in Photoshop.
posted by Nelson at 7:00 PM on February 12, 2006

I am not a fan of this effect. Besides the haloing out the wazoo, there's something about it that just feels wrong. If you're shooting a sunset, objects should be silhouetted, gosh darn it.
posted by alidarbac at 6:14 AM on February 13, 2006

what about the gimp?
posted by MonkNoiz at 6:59 PM on February 13, 2006

I think he's asleep
posted by blag at 5:56 PM on February 15, 2006

« Older Electric Snowblowers: Are they any good?   |   Advancing 110 film manually Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.