What does the crosshatch arrow mean in macOS?
June 18, 2018 7:09 AM   Subscribe

What keys on the keyboard do these symbols correspond to in macOS? (The menu in the image is from Preview, but I've seen it in other programs.)

I feel like this will be super easy obvious answer, but I find it difficult to come up with the right search terms (for the record, "crosshatch arrow" didn't work too well).
posted by bluefly to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)
Page up/page down
posted by General Malaise at 7:11 AM on June 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

Yeah, Page Up/Page Down. More here.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 7:13 AM on June 18, 2018

Response by poster: What does it correspond to on my actual keyboard? My keyboard looks like this.
posted by bluefly at 7:15 AM on June 18, 2018

Best answer: Fn+down arrow= pagedown
Fn+up arrow = page up

Fn + left/right arrow is home/end, which is useful for popping to the top or bottom of a webpage or document.
posted by SaltySalticid at 7:21 AM on June 18, 2018 [4 favorites]

Jeez. I've been a Mac user since the 1980s and I was today years old when I learned that I could use home/end on my laptop; thanks, SaltySalticid!
posted by ook at 7:57 AM on June 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

Seconded, ook.
posted by signal at 8:07 AM on June 18, 2018

thirded, ook.
posted by MovableBookLady at 8:13 AM on June 18, 2018

Response by poster: Yes, thanks SaltySalticid for solving a mystery for the ages!!
posted by bluefly at 4:42 AM on July 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older GDPR Workaround?   |   Options to expedite delivery of a US passport... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.