Name that flower, European tourist edition
June 17, 2018 1:05 PM   Subscribe

What is this big crinkly red-orange flower that has been made into a table centerpiece? Is it even a flower at all? Could it be aquatic life? Where is it from?

My parents are on a Viking river cruise (going down the Rhine thru Germany) and saw this (Imgur link) on their table at dinner. My mom thought I was the right person to ask about it (I don't know why, IANABotanist) and I'm stumped. Google Image search brought me nothing, as did Tineye. So I put it to you, hivemind!
posted by Strange Interlude to Home & Garden (3 answers total)
Best answer: Maybe red cockscomb
posted by loveandhappiness at 1:10 PM on June 17, 2018 [7 favorites]

Response by poster: That seems like a good visual match, I think we might have it in one. I wonder if they come in different colors, or if the lighting on the photo is making it more orange. Thanks loveandhappiness!
posted by Strange Interlude at 1:16 PM on June 17, 2018 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Yep, cockscomb comes in other hues, and is also known as brain celosia, a pretty badass flower name.
posted by assenav at 1:25 PM on June 17, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Where does a timid refashionista go for feedback?   |   Where to stay in Berlin and Prague Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.