Replacing a lost US passport
May 11, 2018 3:56 AM   Subscribe

I'm separated from my child's Other Parent, we share custody (see previous questions). OP borrowed child's US passport, and lost it. OP has shown no inclination to either report or replace. I will now do this, so: In these circumstances, is there anything I should specifically be aware of, before I begin the application/replacement process? Thank you!
posted by life moves pretty fast to Human Relations (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: As you may know, you either need to bring the other parent with you or have them fill in a form giving consent (see number 7). It sounds like they prefer you both be present if possible.

I've replaced a damaged US passport, though it was some years ago. It's basically the same as applying for a first passport--you have to produce proof of citizenship (e.g. a birth certificate, if your kid was born in the US). I believe the form you sign saying "Yes, the passport is lost/damaged" tells you what to do if the old one turns up.
posted by hoyland at 4:04 AM on May 11, 2018 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: (We live in the US, by the way.)
posted by life moves pretty fast at 4:05 AM on May 11, 2018

Best answer: A heads up that if repeated passports are lost or stolen they may refuse to issue new ones. That may be a conversation (through mediation) with the other parent.
posted by raccoon409 at 4:50 AM on May 11, 2018 [3 favorites]

Best answer: Yeah, if both parents can't be there in person to apply, then they need that notarized affidavit allowing the other parent to make application. It'll be a lot easier for everyone involved if the other parent just spends some time looking for it before replacing it.

Check here to see where you have to go for reapplying. Depending on where you are, you may have to go to the passport agency, not a local post office, and that can mean a long day, because the kid has to also come.
posted by yes I said yes I will Yes at 5:26 AM on May 11, 2018 [2 favorites]

His behavior seems consistent with saving it and hiding it from you so that he can use it against you (anything from manipulation to kidnapping the child internationally).

Definitely report it so that it can no longer be used. It would be a shame if he isn't cooperative enough to replace it but you are still (even if he has no malicious intent whatsoever and is 'just' absent-minded and lazy when it comes to such essential things as his child's ID) no worse off than now.
posted by Salamandrous at 10:14 AM on May 13, 2018

Response by poster: As always, thank you all for the good and thoughtful advice!
posted by life moves pretty fast at 5:11 AM on May 14, 2018

« Older Patiently Dating   |   Tell me more about our neighborhood frogs Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.