Property development in post war Europe

So I was listening to 99PI and they were talking about redevelopment of cities after the second world war in continental Europe. I began wondering how were property rights managed in post war Germany? Say you owned a flat in an area that was descimated and scheduled for redevelopment in a "moderen" style. Did you recieve any compensation? If you owned part of the land in the city that was to be rebulit, did you retain any claim to it?
posted by Keith Talent to Home & Garden (1 answer total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I don't know too much about it but maybe the Lastenausgleich law is what you are looking for. It was a law that managed recompensations when buildings were destroyed or damaged among other things. It also was a law contributing to the so-called "Wirtschaftswunder" or german economic miracle in post war Germany.
posted by Mayel at 5:58 AM on March 5, 2018

« Older rental car accident - reporting process   |   Entertainment/treats for long-haul flight Newer »