How do I find this very specific type of cotton pad?
December 2, 2017 2:41 PM   Subscribe

There is a specific type of cotton pad that I have encountered only in hotels, and I love them. They are different from the kind I am able to find at the local stores I checked. Have you ever seen these, and can you tell me where to find them or what they are called? Pictures and description within.

The pads I want to find look like this. They are rectangular and fairly smooth, and seem to have a distinct "grain" of cotton that goes from end-to-end (not very visible in the photo, unfortunately). When I use them on my face, they leave very little cotton fluff residue.

This is an example of the pads I am able to find in the store. They are round, less smooth, and leave a ton of cotton fuzz everywhere when I use them (especially if I haven't shaved for a while). They annoy me and I don't want to buy them any more.

There are other round and rectangular versions in the stores, but they all leave a ton of fuzz, and don't have the smooth finish that the desired one does.

Have you ever seen these to purchase? Can you point me in their direction?
posted by primethyme to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Shiseido’s facial cotton is spendy but wonderful.
posted by third word on a random page at 2:46 PM on December 2, 2017 [5 favorites]

Muji has some that look similar.
posted by gennessee at 2:51 PM on December 2, 2017 [1 favorite]

And if there’s a Muji store near you, their Cut Cotton is very similar but much cheaper.
posted by third word on a random page at 2:53 PM on December 2, 2017 [1 favorite]

They look like Missha cotton puffs.
posted by needled at 3:32 PM on December 2, 2017

Also consider the cotton pads made by DHC. I got spoiled by them and now can't stand any others.
posted by janey47 at 4:29 PM on December 2, 2017

Here is a link to a box of them on Amazon. I can't vouch for this particular brand, it's just the first one that popped up. I found it using the keywords "organic square cotton".
posted by DSime at 5:42 PM on December 2, 2017

I can vouch for these on Amazon. They're smooth and, so far, haven't left any cotton fuzz on me.
posted by LOLAttorney2009 at 6:48 PM on December 2, 2017

These look like regular Japanese (I guess Korean as well?) cotton pads. Some of these are designed for the layers to be separated when soaked in facial lotion/toner, so you can make your own sheet mask, like this.

Asian stores around you may have them, or online Asian stores. This community may know the best option near you.
posted by LoonyLovegood at 3:18 AM on December 3, 2017

Thanks all. I ordered a pack of the ones DSime linked to, as well as a pack of the Shiseido ones. I will report back!
posted by primethyme at 11:00 AM on December 3, 2017

I use these ones because organic is important to me. The price is right, I don't get fuzz from them.
posted by oneirodynia at 4:25 PM on December 3, 2017

Oh those look like the Daiso cotton puffs I use. I get them in store, but here's an Amazon link.
posted by pimli at 11:05 PM on December 3, 2017

Ok, my final verdict:

These that DSime pointed out are maybe not 100% the same as the ones I had before, but they are extremely close, and work great.

The Shiseido pads are clearly much better quality. They are thick, soft, and very comfortable to use on my face. However, as a man with occasional stubble, I found that they still shred and leave cotton lint behind. The other ones do not. So for me, the first type is the winner, and I'll be giving the pack of Shiseido pads to my wife.

Thanks again everyone for helping me track these down!
posted by primethyme at 7:30 AM on December 8, 2017

As an FYI for anyone else looking for these, these cotton squares were on the shelf at my local Walgreen's and appear to be the same kind of cotton pad the OP was looking for.
posted by MadamM at 1:45 PM on December 10, 2017

« Older What defines a "new car" from both legal and...   |   Giving Away Power Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.