Computer Editing Interface from Blade Runner 2049
October 19, 2017 6:22 AM   Subscribe

Is anyone aware of a wireless editing tool like the one from the recent Blade Runner? It was like a tracking wheel that was held in the operator's hands... Thanks!
posted by Mr. Metaphor to Technology (4 answers total)
Metafilter's own asavage has been known to...uh, know alot about Blade Runner. I would shoot Tested an email and see if they know, if he doesn't catch this ask himself.
posted by furnace.heart at 7:09 AM on October 19, 2017

The closest thing I can think of (and it's not very close) is palette.

The device in Blade Runner 2049 was certainly pretty to look at, but it was ridiculous as a plausible control interface. A handful of rotary dials could not provide as many degrees of freedom as the memory artist would need without having stepping through an endless decision tree.
posted by adamrice at 12:08 PM on October 19, 2017

My earlier reply was deleted for whatever reason. My point was, if you’re looking for something it was based off of, if that was the point of your question, you won’t find it because that prop was built for the movie and not based on anything, really.

I wasn’t, and am not, trying to be combative, I’m just trying to inform.
posted by sixfootaxolotl at 5:46 PM on October 19, 2017

To me, looked like a (futuristic version of a) 3D motion controller, also sometimes called a CAD mouse as most are designed to be used with computer-aided-design software.

For example...
posted by edlinfan at 3:15 AM on October 21, 2017

« Older How do I gracefully decline an internal job offer?   |   What the heck are digital assistants good for? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.