Is my car eavesdropping?
October 17, 2017 1:13 PM Subscribe
On two separate occasions, I had conversations about items in the car. The next day, I saw ads for these items on Instagram. I am positive I didn't do a web search for these items. Is my car eavesdropping on me and talking to Instagram? Wondering if anyone else has experienced / heard about this. Possibly relevant information below.
- This didn't happen all in one day, but about a month apart.
- Each time, the item appeared as an ad in my Instagram feed the next day.
- We have a Golf Alltrack. Strangely, this has only happened to me in the Alltrack and not a Jetta with the same year / entertainment system.
- The items were a camping stove and a sleepnumber bed. I think it happened with a third item, but can't remember what it was.
- I have an Android phone (Google branded).
- I don't have a Facebook account, or the Facebook app on my phone (mentioning b/c Facebook owns Instagram), but I do have the Instagram app installed and I'm logged in to it.
- As far as I have noticed, this has never happened with conversations outside of this particular car.
- I'm pretty sure I wasn't connected to the car with the Android Auto app at the time.