Who Doesn't Want a Car Stereo In Their Computer
January 22, 2006 7:12 PM   Subscribe

I am looking for a recessed knob for a computer project. The type of knob I am looking for is like the sort used in old car radios(here or here); they can be clicked in when not in use to be flush with the surrounding area.

I have googled for one for way too long and figured it would be better (for my sanity) to ask the collective MeFi mind. The part will be for a custom RheoBus that I am hoping to make. The knobs need to be flat because my computer case case has a front door that won't close with big things sticking out. I know there are some fan controllers already in existence that are flat and digital and... I just want some simple knobs that can lock flat. Ideally, they would be bigger than the tiny bass/treble knobs on stereos but I suppose I could cannibalize an old stereo if that is the best suggestion out there.

If anybody has any idea where to find parts of this sort, please suggest! Thanks.
posted by tysiva to Technology (5 answers total)
Digikey will likely have something like this, although it might be easier to order a catalog and browse through it rather than going through their website. You'd have to find the matching knobs to go with the potentiometer (although digikey usually has those too).
posted by helios at 7:27 PM on January 22, 2006

I think your best bet will be a salvaged pot. Check out junkyards, my local ones have bins of radios sitting in the front office.
posted by Marky at 8:34 PM on January 22, 2006

Best answer: You need to find somebody who can order you a few of the retractable shaft pots seen here: http://mechatronic.net/Pages/NEW-Poti.htm

(I searched for this just for the keyword challenge - I used "retractable" over "recessed", seemed to be the key.)
posted by davey_darling at 9:21 PM on January 22, 2006

Response by poster: davey, looks like you managed to find the only pot in the world that fits my description!
many thanks

helios, i searched through the catalog but couldnt find anything; a good idea though.

marky, if i can't find a Noble XVB93M1 then i shall indeed be hacking up some old junk.

everyone else, if you've got a lead on some retractable potentiometers or some other idea, i'm definitely still interested.
posted by tysiva at 11:45 PM on January 22, 2006

tysiva writes "if i can't find a Noble XVB93M1 then i shall indeed be hacking up some old junk."

I don't know how many you need but you could try pretending your a business and asking for some of the samples they are offering. I've built a few projects this way where the minimum buy for some hard to find component was 10,000 and I only needed 1.
posted by Mitheral at 7:33 AM on January 23, 2006

« Older Affordable dining recommendations near DFW?   |   PowerMac motherboard (logic board) shorted, help... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.