Where can order good-quality "Japanese paper" for book repair online?
April 13, 2017 8:51 AM   Subscribe

I'm attempting to repair a book, and I have everything I need except "Japanese paper." I've never done this before, so specific recommendations of a vendor and item would be greatly appreciated.

I tried finding something on Amazon, and ordered this, but I don't think it's right for the job. After playing around with it a bit, I found it pulls apart much easier than office paper. I'm trying to repair a hinge that partially failed, so I think it needs to be stronger.

I'm in the US, so I'd prefer a US vendor, but overseas vendors are acceptable if that's what's required. I also don't need that much, since this will probably be a one-off thing.
posted by cosmic.osmo to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I know nothing about book repair, but I wandered into this Japanese paper store once - maybe it has what you need? (there's a section called bookcloth)
posted by bluecore at 9:37 AM on April 13

Some of the big vendors in archival supplies are Gaylord, University Products, and Brodart (who do a paper type sampler that might be useful for testing).
posted by nonane at 9:45 AM on April 13

I LITERALLY just got a Hollinger Metal Edge catalog in the mail this week and flipped through it, so I know they have Japanese paper, haha.
posted by helloimjennsco at 10:24 AM on April 13 [1 favorite]

Not a direct answer to where to source the paper you need (although you should be able to find something at any reasonably well-stocked art supply store), but I wanted to address your concern about the paper pulling apart. One goal when working with artwork or restoration is that the supplies used should be weaker than the artwork. The goal is that, if something rips, it'll be the added material. For instance, when doing framing, you choose a hinging tape that's weaker than whatever paper the art is on.
posted by duien at 11:36 AM on April 13 [3 favorites]

Try Talas Online - they have the best bookbinding supplies available.
posted by 9000condiments at 12:13 PM on April 13 [2 favorites]

Talas is it. Call them. It might be a long call as they free up the person who can best answer your questions and direct you and they can be a bit brusque.
posted by Mr. Yuck at 3:34 PM on April 13

I ordered the sampler from Brodart (which turned out to be a Talas sampler "Japanese Tissues & Papers") and ended up settling on this paper from Talas, which seemed the strongest of the bunch.

Getting the sampler was a very good idea, since I had no notion of how different types of Japanese paper are. This is definitely an area where online shopping is inadequate and some kind of physical contact is required.
posted by cosmic.osmo at 10:53 PM on May 18

« Older Do I end a quote like this with a period or an...   |   Is there a site that collects Trump's most blatant... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments