Looking for a SF story about network packets from the future
October 20, 2015 3:15 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for a story (short novel, perhaps?) I read online probably 5-10 years ago, about a team that invents network gear so good, it happens to pick up packets from the future. Other plot points inside.
- The team "invents" things by stealing the ideas/patents from the future
- There are typical lottery, stock market, and betting shenanigans.
- The protagonist gets some sort of brain computer installed that uses an augmented reality type display, built into their eye(s). I specifically remember them being amazed at how easily the computer could hack into phones,etc while on a plane flight.
- There may be some sort of plot point involving the organization that would have invented the things the team stole
- I vaguely feel like the protagonist is some sort of reporter
- There may also be a plot point about the head genius inventor dying or disappearing, which may also relate to why the reporter is involved.