Laywer needed in Boston before quitting job
June 23, 2015 7:38 AM   Subscribe

My friend is in Boston, works at a huge corporation, and after 10 years with them, wants to quit. Because of [reasons] I adviced her to get a lawyer but she has no idea what sort of lawyer or how to find one. Please help.

My friend has been at this global corporation for 10 years. To not get into too many details, she started at the bottom and worked her way up and has been generally happy but is now about to burn out. She wants to quit ASAP.

In the last year a few things have happened in terms of promotions, extra responsibilities, weird things going on with her salary and them paying for her to study an MBA at a top university, which she loves.

She believes she is owed a lot of money (in terms of salary and productivity bonuses) because of all the extra responsibilites she took on, but wants to leave peacefully and does't want to fight them, all she wants is to not be asked to pay back the tuition for the MBA.
I told her to consult with a lawyer who speciallizes in this type of thing, but she has no idea how to get one, or what specific type of lawyer she needs. Also, Boston is not her hometown, she has only been there for 3 years.

Any ideas or specific suggestions are welcome here or through MeMail.
posted by CrazyLemonade to Work & Money (8 answers total)
When I had a similar leaving-work situation I just reached out to several employment lawyers and had phone conversations with each to determine whether they were suitable. After briefly describing the scope of my situation to a few, I was able to narrow it down to one that I felt comfortable with.
posted by odinsdream at 7:40 AM on June 23, 2015

The MeFi Wiki Get a lawyer page has general information about finding an attorney and links to state-specific resources. The Boston Bar Association offers a lawyer referral service for "referrals to lawyers or other resources that specialize in the area of law related to your specific situation."
posted by Little Dawn at 7:42 AM on June 23, 2015

The kind of lawyer she needs is a plaintiff-side employment attorney. Typically these will be working as solos/partnerships; sometimes they will be small firms.
posted by fingersandtoes at 7:58 AM on June 23, 2015 [1 favorite]

I just sent you a memail with a recommendation.
posted by alms at 8:19 AM on June 23, 2015

Have your friend keep looking until she gets an actual recommendation instead of relying on a bar website or some other service that says nothing about an attorney's qualifications or experience other than that they have paid a fee to be included on that type of list.

If this Ask does not yield a recommendation for an employment lawyer, here is what she can do:

First, she should know the kind of lawyer she's looking for: this is someone with experience in employment law (she's not looking for someone whose experience is in traditional labor law, for example), and it is someone who represents individuals. This usually means a plaintiff's side employment lawyer, but if she's compensated well enough, a lot of management side lawyers will take these cases, too.

The method for getting a good referral is first to ask if any of her acquaintances know anyone like this, which is apparently the step she's on. If the answer is no, then she simply asks her acquaintances if they have worked with a local lawyer that they trust. If the answer is yes, then she gets their contact information and poses the same question to those lawyers. Lawyers LOVE to give referrals; it is how they get a lot of their business. So even if a good lawyer doesn't practice in this area, she or he probably knows someone who does that will be a good referral. Your friend will end up with a few good recommendations this way.

If this doesn't work, have your friend start calling the bigger law firms in town. Before she calls have her check their websites for a labor and employment law group (or something similar). They probably will not represent her, since big firms typically represent management; but they also should be able to give a high quality referral. Our firm would do this if you called us. I imagine most would.

Only after those options have failed would I recommend your friend turn to the local bar list of people who say they practice employment law.
posted by MoonOrb at 9:12 AM on June 23, 2015 [3 favorites]

The keyword here is "employment lawyer." Someone who represents employees.

The other term "labor lawyer" mostly refers to lawyers who work for companies dealing with labor unions, contracts, etc.
posted by JimN2TAW at 10:36 AM on June 23, 2015

A reliable source of qualified plaintiff-side employment attorneys is the National Employment Lawyers Association. I'll memail you a couple of recommendations.
posted by amicus at 4:02 PM on June 23, 2015 [1 favorite]

Thanks everyone!
posted by CrazyLemonade at 11:29 AM on June 24, 2015

« Older What kind of doctor should I see?   |   Computer power efficiency question. Does this... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.