What HTML editor would meet these criteria?

What HTML editing software would meet the following criteria? It should be usable for a modestly sized web design project.
  • is free for personal or non-commercial use
  • has functionality for creating reasonably modern HTML
  • can show both (possibly stylized) page layouts and actual markup code
  • works on both Linux and Windows systems

I am asking for a family member who has past experience with HTML and web design, but isn't caught up on the latest developments. My own preferred approach would rely on common programmers' tools (including a certain favorite editor), but that requires a certain amount of experience with them. I would like to recommend a software package designed specifically for editing HTML with good built-in workflows and functionality as a starting point.
posted by primal to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

http://www.nvu.com/
A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop, Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
posted by now i'm piste at 12:18 PM on May 10, 2015

I like Brackets for its live previews and ability to sort code quickly (I still do most of my actual coding in TextWrangler or TextEdit tbh). I think Brackets largely hits the sweet spot between strong features and ease of use.
posted by klangklangston at 1:08 PM on May 10, 2015 [1 favorite]

Looking through some alternatives to Dreamweaver, OpenElement looks promising, though is Windows-only.
posted by Aleyn at 3:33 PM on May 10, 2015

Best answer: Nvu has been dead for about a decade. BlueGriffon is its spiritual successor. The core editor is free, though many add-ons add various key features at a cost.

It's hard to tell how much you're looking for a WYSIWYG editor vs a code editor/IDE.
posted by zachlipton at 4:08 PM on May 10, 2015 [2 favorites]

If your friend hasn't "caught up with latest developments," make sure s/he knows that for most people who would need to bone up on html, a template-based content management system (Drupal, wordpress, etc.) can do anything most people need to do with visual design and architecture and that this has made directly editing html and css in a visual editor much less important for novice developers. It's still crucial to know it to do anything serious or professional, but if the goal is to have a website that looks good and is standards compliant and responsive, starting with a blank page in Dreamweaver or equivalent is the long road.
posted by spitbull at 5:11 PM on May 10, 2015 [1 favorite]

I use Brackets for my HTML and CSS editing needs, and I really like it. However, the Live Preview is in Chrome only (so far), and there's no way to change that. Not a deal breaker for me, but a friend really prefers to use Firefox for development, and finds it an annoyance.
posted by spinifex23 at 5:44 PM on May 10, 2015

Sublime Text is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and highly extensible and customizable.
posted by monospace at 7:59 PM on May 10, 2015 [3 favorites]

« Older Annual physical checkup: what if one wants to opt...   |   What to do in and around Göttingen, Germany? Newer »