I have a problem, that no one else can help, and if I could find them, maybe I could hire...
November 9, 2005 4:52 PM   Subscribe

WhatToDoWhenAskMeFiFailsFilter: I'm sure I remember reading an article moons ago about professionals who could find information for you for a fee when your Google-fu fails, people highly skilled (librarians?) in the use of search terms and engines.

I am an expat working in Santa Monica in need of very particular financial advice (on international/ offshore pensions and mortgages) and I've asked about this a few times here, haven't reached a resolution, and am now more than willing to pay to find the information I need.

Is such a search service available or does anyone have any recommendations?
posted by forallmankind to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)
Are you looking for this?
posted by godawful at 4:55 PM on November 9, 2005

If you're referring to this question, might not you be best served by finding a French lawyer?
posted by Opposite George at 4:57 PM on November 9, 2005

Try the business library and/or the law library at UCLA?
posted by exceptinsects at 5:14 PM on November 9, 2005

Also, this friend of mine is an "Independent Information Researcher" who might be able to help you or direct you to someone who can.
posted by exceptinsects at 5:17 PM on November 9, 2005

There was a book on these people called "secrets of the super searchers."
posted by craniac at 8:40 PM on November 9, 2005

Have already tried the related professions — financial adviser, accountant, tax lawyer? I'd have thought there'd be plenty of them in California willing and able to help. Although, if it's a specialist field, the advice may not come cheap.
posted by londonmark at 12:31 AM on November 10, 2005

Information Broker is one name for super people who have a library degree and do private research. My best friend used to be one for several years.
posted by matildaben at 11:33 AM on November 10, 2005

« Older DVD photo slideshow software?   |   hepatitis c diagnosis Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.