Help me identify this faucet!
May 27, 2014 4:47 PM   Subscribe

(Asking for my mom) Recently, our faucet started spraying from where it connects to the point where it swivels. We'd like to buy just a new faucet, rather than a whole new assembly. However, we need some help identifying the model number of the faucet.

We're reasonably sure this is a Kohler model. However, the whole assembly is anywhere from 15-22 years old, making identifying the model a bit tricky. There's no tag stating the model number attached to any water line, for example. I can't find any real identifying marks at all.

For reference, the left knob says HOT, the right knob says COLD, and the sprayer says nothing.

The red tape is, obviously, not part of the original design.

I'd appreciate any "that's totally model PN 12345!" or "here's a back catalog of 20 year old Kohler faucets" or "that's not a Kohler faucet, it's a [insert actual brand here]!" responses that may lead to an actual identification.

PS: I'm totally aware this is probably an exercise in futility; it's a 20 year old faucet, it's not like they're necessarily going to keep designs around forever. But, my mom is not looking forward to having to pick a new one (despite not liking this design anyway).
posted by smangosbubbles to Home & Garden (11 answers total)
Would finding a very similar Kohler faucet make it easier to just buy a new faucet and stop worrying about matching it?
posted by vitabellosi at 5:01 PM on May 27, 2014

Response by poster: For me it would, but she'd like to avoid spending the $1400 on a new faucet if she can spend less for part of a set.
posted by smangosbubbles at 5:03 PM on May 27, 2014

Oh -- I think I understand your question now. You want to replace just the part that's leaking?
posted by vitabellosi at 5:03 PM on May 27, 2014

Response by poster: Yes! Sorry for lack of clarity - we are trying to find a replacement part for the portion boxed in purple.
posted by smangosbubbles at 5:07 PM on May 27, 2014

Do you want to actually replace the thing or just stop it from leaking? Any plumber will be able to replace the o-ring in that fitting that needs to be replaced, in about 15 minutes. It might even just need that nut on top tightened.
posted by rockindata at 5:15 PM on May 27, 2014 [5 favorites]

I'm with rockindata. It's probably a fairly easy leak to fix, without replacing any major components at all.
posted by jon1270 at 5:25 PM on May 27, 2014 [1 favorite]

Sounds like you could get a 50ยข replacement o-ring from your local hardware store and be done with it.
posted by monospace at 6:08 PM on May 27, 2014

Response by poster: FYI - Not just an o-ring replacement - the hard water has kind of eaten through the metal in one place (so there's a tiny physical hole). Yes, the water softening unit needs to be (and will be) replaced.
posted by smangosbubbles at 8:06 PM on May 27, 2014

Well, that's unfortunate. I think the best thing is to go for a new faucet, though there's no reason to spend $1400 on one if money is an issue. For a specialty faucet 15-22 years old, parts availability is going to be slim to none, and even if someone had it the part you're looking for is so large that its price would probably rival the cost of a new faucet anyhow, and you'd still have to worry about the mechanical condition of the handles and valves.
posted by jon1270 at 2:19 AM on May 28, 2014

Best answer: Kohler offers a limited lifetime warranty for faucets made after 1997. Most of the top-end faucet makers (Pfister, Moen, etc.) do not have a time limit; they have actual lifetime warranties. If your faucet is a Kohler over 20 years old, you're SOL - but only if it's a Kohler. You should take advantage of the lifetime warranty if it's not; it means you get your replacement free.

The faucet manufacturers can help you identify the model number, and whether it's one of theirs. I originally called Kohler about mine, and they helped me identify it as a Pfister (I believe it was determined by a number I found somewhere). After that it was easy to find the model on the Pfister website, and then easier still to call and give some information (where did you buy it? (I guessed Home Depot; can't remember), when? (about six years ago?), finish preferred, address). They then sent me the correct part(s) immediately. I've done this twice, once for the sprayer and once for the faucet itself.

If you spent that much on a faucet, you should absolutely get your replacement part free. It's built into the price.
posted by caryatid at 4:59 PM on May 28, 2014 [1 favorite]

Best answer: In short: call the customer service number at Kohler. Explain your dilemma. Send them a photo of the faucet and they can tell you if it's one of theirs. If it isn't, try the next manufacturer. Lather, rinse, repeat.
posted by caryatid at 5:22 PM on May 28, 2014

« Older Name that aperitivo!   |   For AdWords, better to work with an agency or... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.