Paper photo/art frames
January 11, 2014 12:00 AM   Subscribe

So I'm looking to do a mixture of buying and making paper or cardboard-based frames for a ton of art, pictures, and some posters I have.

Are there some good instructions out there for making them?

Are there any frames out there for sale that can fit large prints, even if the frame itself comes folded (probably going to be using pushpins and command strips either way) or even if they're just 1 layer sheets (without the actual picture-holding ability)?
As for those pre-made, I'm looking for anything but especially more towards the funky or museum replica side of things. I mean, I can't be the only one who's thought of this....
posted by DisreputableDog to Home & Garden (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I'm not sure what you're asking for. Are you looking for a print of a photo of a frame to put around your picture? Are you thinking about making a mat border and using it without a frame? Are you wanting a frame literally made out of paper? If you could describe your ideal look, that would guide my answer more. I'm a framer, and typically when people ask me for a "paper frame" they're asking for a mat border (which can't be folded.)

If you're looking for frames for large prints that are portable, you might like "sectional frames" where you buy one set of legs for each side and connect them together. But they're not terrifically attractive.
posted by blnkfrnk at 9:05 AM on January 11, 2014

Response by poster: A frame literally made out of paper. Sorry my question(s) were confusing!
posted by DisreputableDog at 6:09 PM on January 11, 2014

cardboard frames like these (scroll down a bit - two examples) or these? Both found by image googling "cardboard frames."

I'm more confused by what you mean by frames that can fit large prints. There are cheap poster frames at most stores like Michael's or Joann's or Target - not cardboard though. Why do you prefer cardboard?
posted by bluedeans at 2:30 PM on January 12, 2014

One issue that comes up with nonframe-frames is the complete lack of protection from the elements. Even the cheapest poster frame will have some kind of front and back protection. Without that, over the medium and long term, you're going to see sagging, rippling, and dust on the face of the posters. Large prints are particularly susceptible to rippling and sagging. And if you hang them at a height where people can lean on them, they will. (They're slightly less likely to lean on frames.)

Anyway. Maybe you have a reason for wanting paper frames. I can't think of a good way to source them other than cutting a hole out of a sheet of paper or cardboard and then decorating it as you see fit. For a minute there you could get sticky plastic wall decals that looked like frames, from a few companies including Umbra. Umbra is pretty good for creative nonframes /decor objects in general.

If you were thinking 3D, you could whip up some papier-mache frame shapes? I'm afraid that's all I've got. If you're in the US, look into Colorplak and similar mounts to wood or aluminum for a more long lasting nonframe mount, though that's not what you're asking for.
posted by blnkfrnk at 8:56 AM on January 18, 2014

« Older Are Sundance Film Festival "Festival Credentials"...   |   Explain my vision woes as though I were five... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.