Name that shape
July 24, 2013 10:35 AM   Subscribe

I cannot for the life of me figure out what this shape is called, and Google is failing me (or I'm not looking hard enough). Do you know what it is?
posted by bigasthesky to Grab Bag (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
posted by hexatron at 10:38 AM on July 24, 2013 [1 favorite]

"cartouche" is more a function-name than a shape name. That is, you can have a "cartouche" that is shield-shaped or heart-shaped or what have you. The top and bottom parts of this thing are ogee arches, but I'm not sure how helpful that is.
posted by yoink at 10:44 AM on July 24, 2013

Best answer: I think the best term for it is "bracket frame" or "bracket shape".
posted by specialagentwebb at 10:47 AM on July 24, 2013 [4 favorites]

Perhaps escutcheon
posted by lathrop at 11:01 AM on July 24, 2013

It's similar to (though not exactly the same as) the "luxe ornate" cards that are popular in the save-the-date/baby announcement/christmas card world of my pro printing labs.
posted by rinosaur at 11:11 AM on July 24, 2013

posted by Ausamor at 11:21 AM on July 24, 2013

posted by mon-ma-tron at 12:35 PM on July 24, 2013 [1 favorite]

posted by mdrew at 1:58 PM on July 24, 2013

If you google for "bracket border" you'll find similar ones. There's no specific name for that specific shape though.
posted by zadcat at 7:59 PM on July 24, 2013

« Older I'm getting my first smartphone soon and want to...   |   Help me get wonderful food to our guests. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.