Stair walker?
July 16, 2013 8:23 PM   Subscribe

My 90 year old grandmother lives by herself in a house in which she needs to use stairs, but it's getting harder and harder these days. I know about electric lifts, but I recall a news story about a year or two ago in which a British teenage girl made a simple but brilliant invention: a track is posted on the wall above the stairs, and a large handle swings out perpendicular, and you grab onto the post/handle and pull yourself up or down the stairs. What is this invention and where can I get one online? Googling is hard because I can't think of what you'd call this...stair walker?
posted by zardoz to Home & Garden (3 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Must be the StairSteady, invented by British teenager Ruth Amos and launched when she was 19.
posted by arnicae at 8:30 PM on July 16, 2013 [7 favorites]

Incidentally I searched "elderly assistance stairs schoolgirl", and found this ehow article which includes Ruth's invention was how I discovered the StairSteady.
posted by arnicae at 8:32 PM on July 16, 2013

Response by poster: Excellent! That's the one, thanks.
posted by zardoz at 8:45 PM on July 16, 2013

« Older Keep this dog out of my bed   |   What's the skinny on medical marijuana in AZ? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.