How can I get a license to teach ESL in Massachusetts?
June 23, 2013 1:32 PM   Subscribe

I have several years' ESL teaching experience, but none in American public schools. I live in Massachusetts and would like to get licensed. I've seen websites that purportedly explain what I need to do, but I would love to hear from someone who has done this.
posted by chaiminda to Education (2 answers total)
I don't know what sort of websites you've been looking at but if you want to be licensed to teach in the public schools in Massachusetts you have to go through the state licensing office. They will tell you what you need to do. Do you have a masters degree? If you don't, you might want to consider getting a Masters of Art in Teaching (MAT) in the teaching of English as a second language. If you already have teacher certification in another field you may be able to get the certification you want by taking a couple of tests. I did that in Massachusetts about ten years ago.
posted by mareli at 2:44 PM on June 23, 2013 [1 favorite]

I'm a teacher in Massachusetts, but I did not transfer from another state.

Here's the flow chart showing what you can do.

Basically, you can start teaching now with a 1 year temporary license, while you get the requirements for an initial license, or you can go straight to initial licensure (5 years) by taking the appropriate MTEL (assuming you already have a masters/certificate from an approved teacher preparation program).

Feel free to ask in thread or memail me if you have a more specific question.
posted by Salvor Hardin at 4:51 PM on June 23, 2013

« Older Compensating for lack of "intellectual...   |   Best dual us/uk bank account Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.