What do I call this lamp/light thing?
June 8, 2013 6:46 PM   Subscribe

This is a light with a picture of some sort of presumably Italian religious icon. When turned on, a colorful disc rotates behind it, creating a psychedelic effect through the clear radiating slits in the picture. I want to buy something like it to modify to display my own image, but what' it called? What do I search for to find more? Photos inside.

Photos: 1 2 3
posted by cmoj to Grab Bag (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Can't tell you what the object is, but the religious icon is Padre Pio, in case that helps in your searches.
posted by katemonster at 6:52 PM on June 8, 2013

Similar to, but not exactly, a zoetrope.
posted by timsteil at 6:58 PM on June 8, 2013

It's a type of motion lamp that uses a color wheel - similar to the larger versions used to illuminate aluminium Christmas trees of yore. Added 'color wheel' to a google and found a photo of one very like your Padre Pio version - though sadly the link (to a sporting goods site!?) doesn't cough up that lamp.

But them's your terms for future periodic searches. Disregard liquid motion lamps (= lava lamps).
posted by likeso at 2:21 AM on June 9, 2013

« Older What's your favorite hot sauce?   |   Where is this wedding dress shop? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.