What is the name of this item of clothing that combines shirt & sweater?
March 15, 2013 10:16 PM   Subscribe

What's the name for the piece of women's clothing that looks like one is wearing a v-neck sweater over a button-down shirt, but really it's one shirt with collar and cuffs attached to a "fake" sweater?

Bonus question: where online could a plus-size (US 16-18) woman find flattering version of such items?
posted by subbes to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Mock sweater vest yields some applicable results in google, though faux sweater vest seems to bring up some faux fur monstrosities that don't work at all.
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 10:19 PM on March 15, 2013

I see them called mock layer sweaters and I used to be able to find nice ones at Kohl's, but now it seems they're out of fashion again and I rarely see them anymore. It's a pity, because I really liked them for adding interest and the appearance of layers without roasting me alive.
posted by clerestory at 10:37 PM on March 15, 2013

I have five of them sitting in my chest of drawers right now. I think they aren't as trendy as they were once, but some of mine came from Lane Bryant and some of them from Macy's. A search for mock layer sweaters seems to turn up things that are similar in concept but different in design - instead of pretending to be a button-down under a sweater or sweater vest, they're a shell with pretend cardigan flaps hanging off of it. Perhaps sweater with attached dickey?
posted by PussKillian at 10:44 PM on March 15, 2013

I've always seen them called 'layered-look sweaters'. A Google Image Search turns up a fair few results.
posted by dotgirl at 11:08 PM on March 15, 2013

Another search term is dickey.
posted by samthemander at 12:31 AM on March 16, 2013 [1 favorite]

Samthemander, a dickey would be if it were JUST the fake shirt that you can swap out to other sweaters.

Nthing that "mock layer" tops/sweaters is what you should be searching for.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 1:00 AM on March 16, 2013

I've also seen them described as a "twofer" or "two-fer". Torrid used to sell a bunch of them, but as clerestory says, they seem to be out of style at the moment. Maybe try eBay?
posted by Georgina at 3:03 AM on March 16, 2013 [1 favorite]

Christopher & Banks calls them twofers. Here are some from their plus-size line, although their misses sizes might also fit you.
posted by DrGail at 4:47 AM on March 16, 2013

It's called a fooler top.
posted by windykites at 7:08 AM on March 16, 2013

You could also "make your own" with something like this and an existing sweater.

Sizes go up to XL, and the main body part of the shirt is made of a stretch material. It's designed to get rid of the lumps and bumps and extra fabric that a real button-down can create under a sweater.
posted by charmcityblues at 10:48 AM on March 16, 2013 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Wow, I guess there is no one term for them. I'm gathering a list, so please keep your suggestions coming!
posted by subbes at 1:10 PM on March 16, 2013

The What Not to Wear folks call them "schweaters," and recommend them.
posted by terrierhead at 3:59 PM on March 19, 2013

They're called 2-in-1s in Marks and Spencer, where I saw one a couple of weeks ago.
posted by mippy at 6:02 AM on March 20, 2013

« Older What are the must read books of 1970s NYC?   |   Am I at the mercy of big ink? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.