How to cure subcutaneous itch/burn in my back?
March 6, 2013 3:34 PM   Subscribe

How to cure subcutaneous itch/burn in my back? Yep, I've had it for years but it's worse and more frequent recently. Between the shoulder blades.

Sometimes I seem to pin it down to posture or strain at computer, but often it seems to awaken with my emotional stress about relationship. Should I see a neurologist or a dermatologist? Or no one?
posted by noelpratt2nd to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Talk to your GP about it; if they're good, they will probably recommend some physical therapy to help with your posture issues, in concert with some recommendations for ways to deal with your physical response to an emotional stress. I have a similar issue, though, and the first GP I saw agreed with my assessment of 'posture and stress' but didn't seem to think I could do anything about either except 'sit up straight' and 'relax'. I got a new doctor and am now doing PT and getting some massage therapy. Plus occasional Ativan. (I think the part for the emotional stress should be highly personalized though, so YMMV).
posted by Tandem Affinity at 3:51 PM on March 6, 2013

Try a massage therapist!! If you can, find a good one who uses a neuromuscular release technique. It sounds like you've been suffering with this for quite some time so don't be surprised if it takes 10-15 sessions to really break this up.
posted by PorcineWithMe at 4:04 PM on March 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Gosh, therapy and massage, huh? I'm a lazy man, though I hustle around to work locations. "Break this up" strikes a bell, sounds hopeful. I already do take Vali and Klonny for anxiety and sleep. I'm not well of and I don't wanna see a doctor to be referred to another only to be sent to a third (phys. therapist). But thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. I also feel it manifest when for whatever reason I'm in a hurry to get something done...even like type this message. Something's changed, and I guess something's gotta give. Thanks again.
posted by noelpratt2nd at 4:25 PM on March 6, 2013

Best answer: Well, I don't what your health plan is like, but it seems like most require a referral to get the PT. Once I got to PT though, I explained that getting in was a hassle to my work schedule (and thus caused further stress) and they were pretty understanding. I have a bunch of exercises to do at home (15 min/day) and only had to go 1x/week, and I feel once every two weeks would have been ok - the 1X/week was helpful to me to check on technique and progress. I actually had to stop the PT for a bit, because it was making things worse, and up the massage; it was good to have the GP orchestrating all this.

But I understand your annoyance about the many layers of doctors and appts. I've taken Ativan for other things in the past too, (e.g. like your Clonipin) but it was prescribed differently for this.....but I'm still in the midst of it all, so we'll see if it actually works. I hope you feel better too.
posted by Tandem Affinity at 4:46 PM on March 6, 2013

Response by poster: Very sweet, blessings to you tonight.
posted by noelpratt2nd at 4:51 PM on March 6, 2013

Notalgia paresthetica. I have had it for about 6 years on the right side. Gah, hate it! Yes, deep tissue massage, a nice slow deep elbow grinding up my medial scapula, does wonders. So does this.

Having one of these is handy and, in the car on long drives, placing one of these between that spot and the seat gives some nice acupressure.
posted by headnsouth at 4:51 PM on March 6, 2013 [5 favorites]

If you do see a massage therapist and find that deep tissue massage helps for that spot, you might want to get a theracane or a body back buddy that will allow you to apply pressure to that spot on your own. Both products are have lots of great reviews from satisfied customers. I have a friend who is a massage therapist and I know that she has recommended the theracane.

I would also call around and see if any message therapists would be able to do a session that included helping you learn how to best use one of these devices.

Or if you're really financially strained and a massage therapist is out of reach, just get either the theracane or the body buddy and try it yourself. They both come with booklets to show you how to use them.
posted by marsha56 at 5:23 AM on March 7, 2013 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Will check them out, thanks.
posted by noelpratt2nd at 5:32 AM on March 7, 2013

Just be careful if you do get a Theracane. I'm a massage therapist, and I use mine often, but I can be a little overzealous when I've got a particularly resistant knot, and I've actually abraded my skin from the friction. Also know that the area will probably be sore a day or two after working it, so don't be surprised if it feels like someone beat you up.

Good luck!
posted by MsVader at 9:42 AM on March 7, 2013

+2 on the Theracane.
posted by PorcineWithMe at 10:43 AM on March 7, 2013

« Older "Calibrated draft control" = Emergency?   |   Advice for camping out overnight for oral argument... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.