Help me save the world!
August 11, 2005 3:44 AM   Subscribe

Help me save the world! How can I automatically power off all my computer peripherals when I power off my computer?

Like most mefi users, my PC has a smorgasbord of associated peripherals, each with its own power lead. When I power off my PC, all these peripherals are left running, doing nothing but using juice. Without having to switch each peripheral off in turn, or crawl under my desk to the wall socket, is there a gizmo out there that will do this for me?

Added skill-bonus: I'm in the UK

My google-fu has revealed this US product so far - but nothing with UK sockets or voltage ratings.
posted by blacksky to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)
You power down?

You might try contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they have a UK product or know of one. Perhaps their product will even work on UK voltage, merely requiring a few plug adapters.
posted by caddis at 4:26 AM on August 11, 2005

I use the switch on my surge protector. Once the computer is off, I just flip the switch.
posted by duck at 4:38 AM on August 11, 2005

I do remember seeing a product like caddis mentions at my local B&Q (diy store), so there is something available in the UK, but beyond that I can't help much. It's not listed on their website but then again not much is.

I seem to remember when the main socket was no longer feeding power to the PC then all the other sockets would cut off. I decided not to buy it as I do what Duck does, turn off via the surge protector
posted by sdevans at 4:46 AM on August 11, 2005

I was just spitting back the manufacturer of the product identified by blacksky. It does sound pretty neat to me because Windows machines can take several minutes to shut down. Who wants to wait? The other side of this is that most peripherals these days pretty much power down on their own to a minimal power use state awaiting turn on of the computer.
posted by caddis at 5:33 AM on August 11, 2005

thinkgeek sells the mini power minder which basically does what you ask, via your USB system. while this looks like it's only applicable to north american power systems, the manufacturer might sell something for use in the UK, or at least point you the right way.

failing that, you could also combine these with a complementary set of those cheap 110-220 transformers in the right places (step your wall power down to 110, plug this device in, and then step it back up to 220 on the output side) to make it work. be careful to pay attention to the power ratings, as your computer / peripherals can probably consume power in the 500W range. if you get an adapter, get one that's designed for high power uses like hairdryers.

good luck!
posted by sergeant sandwich at 3:26 PM on August 11, 2005

Followup: I happened to be shopping in PC World last night, and came across these:

Exactly what I was looking for. Am sure they weren't there a week or two ago!

Anyway, at £25, I bought one. It works a charm, although it does feel a bit cheap and flimsy.
posted by blacksky at 1:26 AM on September 2, 2005

« Older cricket webcast   |   Who's right? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.