How can I buy or make a replacement bent wire shelf-hanger for my bookcase?
July 21, 2012 7:21 AM   Subscribe

I bought a bookcase (with adjustable shelves) off Craigslist. All of the shelves were included, but not all of the little bent-wire bits (photos inside) that hold the shelves in place. Where can I find replacements?

They look like this (like this when mounted) and each fits into a groove along the edge of a shelf.

Is it possible to buy replacements for these off-the-shelf?

If not, it seems like they should be relatively easy to fabricate—but where would I go to have it done (when I only need 10 or so)? Or is there some kind of tool I can buy to bend wire with enough precision to do it myself?
posted by enn to Home & Garden (5 answers total)
Check Home Depot or Lowes. I've bought replacement shelf hardware there before - not the exact one you need, but that had drawers of various types of pins and hangers for cabinets and bookshelves.
posted by COD at 7:27 AM on July 21, 2012

Also, if they don't have that exact hanger, get creative. Those little metal pins that come with cheap bookshelves might be a viable substitute, and I know you can get those at the hardware store.
posted by COD at 7:29 AM on July 21, 2012

If there is an IKEA near you, I think they have the pins in their replacement hardware section, and I think they are free. (I may be misremembering - but I think there are a bunch of bins right by where you pick up your furniture order/process returns that has them).
posted by dpx.mfx at 7:33 AM on July 21, 2012

Best answer: if ya don't mind the wait Woodworkers has them.
posted by Max Power at 7:39 AM on July 21, 2012

Response by poster: Wow! Thanks—I can't find my measuring tape to check the length of the ones I have, but assuming they are one of the sizes available at that Woodworkers link, I'm all set. I really didn't think I would find these so easily.
posted by enn at 7:57 AM on July 21, 2012

« Older Ouch! What gives, tummy?   |   Can I be bi-coastal if I'm not rich? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.