typing accents
July 27, 2005 5:43 PM   Subscribe

My wife wants to be able to put Spanish Accents in on our PC Laptop however we have not found a solution. Is there one for a PC Laptop Keyboard without using that Function method?
posted by Hands of Manos to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)
Select the US-International keyboard layout, then you can enter é by typing 'e and ñ by typing ~n. It's a bit tricky to switch, since you have to double-type quotes and other characters to get them to show, but once you're used to it, it's fine.
posted by holgate at 6:02 PM on July 27, 2005

posted by evariste at 6:06 PM on July 27, 2005

In Word, you can simply type CTRL-', CTRL-`, CTRL-~, CTRL-^ (CTRL-SHIFT-6), CTRL-:, or and then the letter you want to put it over. Oddly, this doesn't seem to even be in the help files anymore. Not sure how to do the little Finnish halo. I wish I could get these same combinations to work in Firefox because it's just SO convenient.
posted by ontic at 3:06 PM on July 28, 2005

I'll second the CTRL-XYZ advice above. I teach French and am constantly having to type in both languages...this is by far the easiest solution. I can still manage to do about 45 wpm because the keystrokes are all so intuitive.
posted by richmondparker at 4:11 PM on July 28, 2005

« Older So, is it possible for a heterosexual female to...   |   Where can a person get honest, objective opinions... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.