What is this cord called?
June 5, 2012 11:59 PM   Subscribe

During a move I lost the power cord to my zojirushi rice cooker. It looks like this. What is it called? I'm looking to get a replacement.

posted by maykasahara to Technology (12 answers total)
It's hard to tell from the photo. Is it a normal three prong plug in similar to one that gets plugged into the back of a desktop computer?

If so amazon has them.
posted by Quack at 12:02 AM on June 6, 2012

I don't know what model you have, but you can buy replacement parts on the Zojirushi website here.
posted by insectosaurus at 12:06 AM on June 6, 2012 [1 favorite]

Best answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320_C14#C14

This should be the kind of power cord you need.
posted by destrius at 12:44 AM on June 6, 2012

IEC cord in the US, Kettle lead in the UK.
posted by dubold at 12:45 AM on June 6, 2012

Destrius' link shows a bunch of coupler options, so you should be able to find the specific number based on the images there.
posted by dubold at 12:46 AM on June 6, 2012

If it's the same IEC as a computer power cable, you can likely get 10 for a dollar at any second-hand store.
posted by rhizome at 12:49 AM on June 6, 2012

Also, anyone who has ever thrown out a computer may have a spare one.
posted by XMLicious at 1:04 AM on June 6, 2012

Is that a picture of the actual missing cord or a similar one? I ask because, as noted above, the cord in the picture looks like the standard IEC power cord used for devices like computers. But! My roommate had a Zojirushi water boiler and while the cord for the boiler looked quite similar to the IEC style, it was actually a different and incompatible plug. In the case of roommate's boiler the plug magnetically attached to the boiler (just like Apple's current laptop cords). If you could post a decent picture of the socket on the cooker it would help to ID the type of cord needed.
posted by 6550 at 1:32 AM on June 6, 2012

Can we have a closeup of the ends of the lead?
posted by gorcha at 4:07 AM on June 6, 2012

Response by poster: That's the sample picture I pulled from the zojirushi site that insects aureus mentioned. It uses a c14 IEC cord like desktop computers as rhizome mentioned.

@destrius Thank you for answering my question!

@rhizome So zojirushi wasn't ripping me off by charging $12 then.

@XMLicious they totally would.

@6550 Zojirushi seems to have different cords depending on the product because the power cord I snagged from my printer (a C14) works with the rice cooker. Lucky me that they don't have a wonky proprietary cord!
posted by maykasahara at 4:40 AM on June 6, 2012

That cable is one of the most common power cables in existence. It's so ubiquitous that there are several names for it. You can find very cheap ones at various lengths at Monoprice.
posted by Sphinx at 9:23 AM on June 6, 2012

In my industry the IEC cables are referred to as "OSHA cables" and they are ubiquitous, meaning cheap. I think you misread rhizome's "10 for a dollar" as "10 dollars"...Zojirushi would seem to be ripping you off if they charged $12 for one.
posted by therewolf at 2:49 PM on June 6, 2012

« Older Please help me with my Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde kitten   |   Where can I find issues of 3-2-1 Contact magazine... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.