Tubular 80's Fruitsnack?
May 11, 2012 8:56 PM   Subscribe

What is the tubular 80's Fruit Snack haunting my dreams?

It would have been the late 80's. It was shaped like a tube, with one flavor of fruit roll up as the tube with another flavor filling up the inside. Very chewy...like a little smooth fruit roll up cigar. Mass produced, probably by the Fruit Roll Up people, but I can't find any trace of it with this little amount of information.

Any ideas?
posted by esereth to Food & Drink (13 answers total)
posted by greta simone at 9:15 PM on May 11, 2012 [1 favorite]

You're 100% sure you're not thinking of Gushers?
posted by Sara C. at 9:15 PM on May 11, 2012

I don't think they've been around any more than ten years, but what you're describing sounds very close to a kazoozle (that link also has some other decent leads).
posted by a box and a stick and a string and a bear at 9:29 PM on May 11, 2012

Are these the same as livewires candy?

Ah Greta Simone! I loved Bonkers. I hope that Wikipedia page is right and they are going to be available again.
posted by Calzephyr at 11:08 PM on May 11, 2012

Kazoozles is how they looked, but they weren't a candy. They were a "fruit snack" that moms could feel ok about putting in lunch boxes. They don't exist anymore, that I know of. Thanks for the use of your brains, tho. I may never solve this mystery. I don't even know how to frame the question quite right.
posted by esereth at 11:33 PM on May 11, 2012

I think I might recall this - it was almost like fake licorice on the outside, fruit (well, froot) flavored, with a softer pasty but still gel-like inside? These people seem to think they might be called 'Tooty Fruits' which isn't ringing bells for me, although your description does.

Apparently there is a UK candy with the same name that is different, though, and it's an easily confounded search on that name because of misremembered spellings and song lyrics etc.
posted by cobaltnine at 12:05 AM on May 12, 2012

The guys who made Fruit Roll-Ups also had a product called simply Fruit Bars, which were basically a solid stick of Fruit Roll-Up stuff. Not sure if they did a two-layer version like you describe.
posted by Metroid Baby at 6:11 AM on May 12, 2012

I remember exactly what you're talking about. Naturally I can't remember the name. It came out around the same time as 1-2-3 Jell-O, I think. It was an age of textural experimentation.

I am slogging through this list. No luck so far, but still pretty amusing.
posted by TheRedArmy at 10:32 AM on May 12, 2012

Tooty Fruits?

The description sounds right, but I couldn't find any images or hits over on Google. Maybe due to a spelling discrepancy.
posted by TheRedArmy at 11:03 AM on May 12, 2012 [1 favorite]

Oops. Sorry, cobaltnine, didn't register that you already said all that.
posted by TheRedArmy at 11:05 AM on May 12, 2012

Put me down as another vote for Tooty Fruits. I remember them exactly as you do and the commercial described in TheRedArmy's link above is exactly what I remember too.

I used to eat off the outer layer first and savor the gooier inside bit.
posted by The Man from Lardfork at 12:01 PM on May 12, 2012

They were called Two-T-Fruits.

There is pretty much no info on Google about them other than that Sunkist registered them as a trademark a while back (like, the 80s).

Sometimes the jingle gets stuck in my head, and that is why I remember them and the spelling. It is not on Youtube.
posted by FAMOUS MONSTER at 7:25 PM on May 13, 2012

Bless your heart Famous Monster...and thanks everyone for helping me get there. I cannot BELIEVE I can't find a picture of them online. But at least that particular brain worm is gone.
posted by esereth at 11:01 PM on May 13, 2012

« Older Hey, cmoj, tell that joke.   |   How can I say thank you Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.