Small craft fasteners?
April 7, 2012 6:57 AM   Subscribe

I need some kind of fastener for a small craft project, but I don't know what it's called...

I will be attaching pieces made from heavy paper (or thin wood) to each other, and I need some kind of minimal metal piece of hardware that will allow them to rotate.

I'm imagining a tiny version of a metal brad fastener, only with something more finished looking on the back instead of prongs. Maybe a cross between a rivet and a brad fastener? What terms should I be searching for?
posted by ella wren to Grab Bag (14 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Would a snap work?
posted by tamitang at 7:02 AM on April 7, 2012

What about something like a hitch pin and r-clip?
posted by workerant at 7:24 AM on April 7, 2012

binding post?
posted by Abinadab at 7:42 AM on April 7, 2012

This style of brass rivet?
posted by bonobothegreat at 7:45 AM on April 7, 2012

A variation on the binding post idea; Chicago screws.
posted by squeak at 8:20 AM on April 7, 2012

Maybe something like a grommet?
posted by shesbookish at 9:28 AM on April 7, 2012

Or on a similar vein eyelets.
posted by Mitheral at 9:56 AM on April 7, 2012

Depends on how thick the wood is but maybe bolts and t-nuts.
posted by aniola at 12:22 PM on April 7, 2012

Machine screws, nuts, and washers come in surprisingly small variants. Check out a hardware store. You can get two nuts and snug them up against each other on the shaft of the screw to keep your wood/paper on without binding it.
posted by Wulfhere at 1:23 PM on April 7, 2012

I think binding posts are what I need! Will hit the hardware store. (Tried grommets/eyelets but they didn't allow the pieces to rotate.)
posted by ella wren at 3:14 PM on April 7, 2012

The binding posts won't do much for paper, but maybe something like this? They might be a little flimsy, but would work great for mock-up until you can see exactly what you need.
posted by gjc at 4:25 PM on April 7, 2012

I actually have a mockup with teeny brad fasteners already! It looks like the smallest size of binding posts is 1/8", so I'm thinking I'll make the pieces out of 1/16" basswood to get a good fit.
posted by ella wren at 8:58 PM on April 7, 2012

You can also find binder screws at office supply stores.
posted by ljesse at 9:10 PM on April 7, 2012

Check out Chicago Bolts, also called Sex Bolts sometimes.

They have a very clean look and the threads are on the inside so your material has a smooth surface to slide against.
posted by keeo at 11:03 PM on April 7, 2012

« Older Should we buy this house?   |   How can I be a good straight ally at work? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.